We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see and do's with 8 and 9 year old??

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Must see and do's with 8 and 9 year old??

We are planning a 4 day trip to San Diego in the beginning of Oct. with our 8 and 9 year old kids. We have been to San Diego before and they LOVED Sea World so that is a must on our list. I am looking for what is a Must See and Do for our short trip.

Here is what I have planned so far:

Day 1: Sea World

Day 2: Lego Land

Day 3: Hang out at the beach and Mission Bay boardwalk

Day 4: Wild animal Park

I know that my son would like the Meritime museum but not sure if maybe we could fit this in on the 1st day we arrive as we are driving from AZ and so we are accounting for 1 day drive there and 1 day back.

We have been to the San Diego Zoo already and my kids really enjoyed Sea World better so we are skipping the Zoo.

Thanks for any advice!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,093 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see and do's with 8 and 9 year old??

We too prefer Sea World to zoos, just our family. Maritime Museum is worth 2 hours with kids that age. You can't really spend a full day on the beach in Oct, so plan a visit to Maritime in the morning of your beach day!

Day 1 arrive in San Diego

Day 2 Sea World

Day 3 Maritime Museum, beach day etc.

Day 4 Move your lodging to the Northern part of San Diego. Legoland this day

Day 5 Wild Animal Park.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,238 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see and do's with 8 and 9 year old??

Make sure you check the Legoland calendar because sometime after the summer they change their hours and are not open every week day.

Depending on where you end up staying you can easily drive to Legoland and the Wild Animal Park in about 40min.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
564 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see and do's with 8 and 9 year old??

Although my 5-year-old was crazy about Legoland when we visited this past summer, I remember thinking that a child much older than 7 or 8 might be bored. If you have Lego buffs, they may well love it and they can find plenty to keep them engaged. Just be aware that a lot of the rides, etc. are geared toward smaller kids.

My son also loved the USS Midway. And if you want a little adventure, consider driving up to the Torrey Pines Gliderport to go paragliding. It's indescribable!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see and do's with 8 and 9 year old??

I would not miss the USS Midway and would consider dropping the Safari Park, it is so far away. Instead I would go to some of the museums in Balboa Park, there is something for everyone.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see and do's with 8 and 9 year old??

Disagre about the Legoland comment regarding age. Last visit the kids were 9, 11, 12. They had a great time. Some of the rides are not for that age but most are fine. 8 and 9 should have a great day. The place is amazing with the Lego decor. Don't miss the fire truck races!

Edited: 15 September 2011, 06:24
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Must see and do's with 8 and 9 year old??

My son, almost 8, said his highest priority this last trip to San Diego (last week) was the USS Midway. We had done that last trip, but he wanted to do again, so we did. This time, we also did the volunteer docent flight deck tour & the flight simulator ride.

Next priority was seeing the Legoland model exhibits, riding the Sky Cruiser, playing Wild Wood Golf 18 hole miniature, and playing in the water park (we brought swimwear). He spent several hours building Lego machine guns and running around with several other boys about same age playing combat in the play area, while daughter played store in a pretend Lego town. We caught the show called Fun Town Police Academy, fun to watch with great gymnastics - make sure to pick up show schedule.

The SD Zoo had 2 kids shows on Saturdays & we did both, then rode the aerial ride twice, did the top of double decker bus tour, and saw lots of animals without much walking necessary. The safari park we want to do next but haven't tried yet, & hear it is great - only $10 for kids month of OCT for tram since admission free.

Note: Added up the receipts and found that buying tickets at the gate using AAA card was much cheaper total than buying the GO Card in advance (by over $100). We did Legoland, SD Zoo & USS Midway Museum in 3 days, spent several half days at the pool at hotel and did afternoon & evening in La Jolla. To get your money's worth from the Go Card, must be non-stop walking through museums, parks, etc, and really you need that break time at beach or in the pool.

Edited: 15 September 2011, 11:13
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must see and do's with 8 and 9 year old??

Great itinerary for kids. We were just there with our 11 yo girl and 8 yo boy. both loved it! even the more junior attractions. the water

Park which is an additional price is not essential as there is a water play in the main section.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must see and do's with 8 and 9 year old??

Great itinerary for kids. We were just there with our 11 yo girl and 8 yo boy. both loved it! even the more junior attractions. the water

Park which is an additional price is not essential as there is a water play in the main section.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must see and do's with 8 and 9 year old??

That is the funny thing about Legoland, they even love the rides that are for kids younger than them. I have loved that park ever since it first opened and it has only gotten better. What makes it unique is that many rides are interactive, you just don't sit in the ride and watch scenes. One fun restaurant we have liked is the Sports themed restaurant, Upper Deck Sports Cafe. It is sit down service with a kids buffet and lego play area (which are present in many line areas in the park) and a good variety of food for the adults, very nicely themed.

10. Re: Must see and do's with 8 and 9 year old??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 16:18