We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

awful airport or just a bad day?

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
awful airport or just a bad day?

Arrived at terminal two Delta Airlines on Sept 24.

Arrival time 5.15 AM.

After waiting on a long line to check in waited on long line at TSA..

Reached gate at 6.50AM.

Flight departed at &7.00 AM.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,357 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: awful airport or just a bad day?

Both.

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: awful airport or just a bad day?

That's about normal for SAN and SNA. Their TSA lines can be pretty long especially on early a.m. flights. Flying out mid-morning or afternoon are a little easier.

You can avoid the check-in wait by checking in on-line and going to the special lane for bag drop-offs.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: awful airport or just a bad day?

Well, San Diego International Airport (aka Lindbergh Field) has some issues. First off is its location, the center of town, which is rare these days. it is also a older airport with just one main runway.

Due to where it is located, they have severe restrictions on when flights can take off. There are no departures allowed between 11 AM to 6:30 AM every day.

Alas, this causes a LARGE amounts of flights that all want to leave at the same time first thing in the AM, and there are long waits every morning. Once the first set of planes departs, the waits get shorter the rest of the day.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: awful airport or just a bad day?

As mentioned above SNA (Also known as John Wayne/Orange County/Santa Ana) is located near many homes, and has the same restrictions on overnight flights. no departures between 10 PM to 7 AM (8 AM on Sundays). Also only has one runway for commercial flights.

So TSA closes up shop for the evening, and only opens up an hour or so prior to the first flight in the morning, causing the long backups. Most folks learn to either get there very earlier (and use things like self check-in) or just fly later in the day, when the lines are shorter.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: awful airport or just a bad day?

I really don't see any issues here.

You got there less than 2 hours prior to departure and still made your flight. I have no idea why the airport is to blame for that.

Dr. Z

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,357 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: awful airport or just a bad day?

Be glad it's not Princess Juliana Airport... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzHLme6ISTQ or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8KjPNj2jgw

Edited: 30 September 2011, 19:04
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: awful airport or just a bad day?

Always a fun thing to see in St Maarten!!! Those KLM pilots are just showing off a little.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: awful airport or just a bad day?

Thank's for the replies.

Correction arrived at Delta 4.45 AM for domestic flight.

Airport code is SAN

Edited: 30 September 2011, 19:12
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: awful airport or just a bad day?

Just to clarify, SAN is the airport code for San Diego.

The nearest main alternative is about 100 miles up the California Coast, and that is John Wayne (SNA). Yes, it does get confusing here in Southern California.

The main "24 hour" airport in the area is LAX (Los Angeles International), and that is another 40 miles or so up the freeway.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,716 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: awful airport or just a bad day?

I don't ever check luggage so I have no idea how long that takes at SAN.

I always check in on line the night before so have my boarding pass and go straight to security.

I usually arrive between 5:20 and 5:30AM and am through security and at my gate by 6AM. Sorry you had a longer wait. I don't think it sounds totally outrageous!