We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip w/teens, Hyatt Mission Bay, Solamar or Marriott

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
137 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Trip w/teens, Hyatt Mission Bay, Solamar or Marriott

Found great price package only offering Hyatt Mission Bay,

Solamar, and Marriott Coranado in my price range.

Wanted lots to do for the teens, great pool, clean and nice

hotel near attractions. Any of these fit the bill??

Thanks for suggestions, Must be safe to walk with kids.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,897 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip w/teens, Hyatt Mission Bay, Solamar or Marriott

I think the Solamar is more of an adult/romantic experience sooo either the Hyatt or the Marriott.

If the kiddos want a pool with a slide etc. then you need to stay at the Hyatt BT the nicest rooms there are in the tower. IF your pkg does not include tower rooms then stay at the Marriott!!

All are safe but best to have a rental car to get to attractions!(depending on where you want to go)

Our public transportation consists mostly of buses, NOT like Chicago!!

Things to do are quite spread out over a large amt. of territory.

San Diego County is as large as the state of Conn.

The Marriott would put you across the bay from downtown SD.

It is in the city of Coronado which has a small town feel, great beach etc.

You can cross the bay by passenger ferry, short drive over no toll bridge or city bus or water taxi.

The Hyatt is in a park setting called Mission Bay Park. There are several manmade bays for water activities and the ocean is not far. The closest ocean beach is Mission Beach/Pacific Beach(mission south end pacific north end) . This area has a low key surfer feel .

I don' t know how long you'll be here or what activities/sights you plan to see???

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip w/teens, Hyatt Mission Bay, Solamar or Marriott

I think if you asked the teens, they would opt for the Hyatt Mission Bay, just for the access to the Pacific Ocean nearby. There is a small amusement park nearby, Belmont Park, with a great wooden roller coaster (Giant Dipper).

Also the closest choice to SeaWorld San Diego, a major Theme Park based on Marine life, shows and a few rides.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip w/teens, Hyatt Mission Bay, Solamar or Marriott

If you stay at the Hyatt, make sure you get a Tower or Marina room. Their so called "Bay View" room have a view mostly of the parking lot and those rooms are what generate 90% of their bad reviews.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,337 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip w/teens, Hyatt Mission Bay, Solamar or Marriott

No way the Hyatt Mission Bay. The "specials" are never the Tower Rooms, they are the original low rise rooms and it is not a great place to walk since there isn't much there.

The Marriott Coronado is a much better choice. It is a great, quiet community. It is very safe even for the teens to walk around on their own.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip w/teens, Hyatt Mission Bay, Solamar or Marriott

The Hyatt Regency Mission Bay's specials can cover much more than the "Bay View" rooms and both Belmont Park and Sea World are within walking distance, especially for teenagers.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip w/teens, Hyatt Mission Bay, Solamar or Marriott

IMHO, I don't think the Teens would have the best of times on Coronado, too laid back and upscale, so about the only thing to do would be hang around the pool and the beach.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
137 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip w/teens, Hyatt Mission Bay, Solamar or Marriott

Thank you all so very much!! I think I have to go back and look at

the type of room was at the Hyatt. I have always found Hyatt's to be

so nice but there is always an exception to everything. I like modern

and clean and safe so I will check on the room category and check back

here. Thank you again everyone. : )

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,337 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip w/teens, Hyatt Mission Bay, Solamar or Marriott

Belmont Park is a one mile walk and it has one thing a teen might find interesting, the "Giant" Dipper, that ain't so giant, more like a mini dipper. What do you do after the 45 second ride?

The walk to SeaWorld is almost a mile and half and those are the only two place to walk to from the Hyatt Regency. There aren't any restaurants of note or shopping or other attractions there.

The Tower in the Hyatt is nice, but the location is still bad. They can't fix that.

I would look at the two addresses in Google Maps and look at the area around the hotels.

1441 Quivira Road, San Diego, CA 92109

2000 Second Street, Coronado, CA 92118

9. Re: Trip w/teens, Hyatt Mission Bay, Solamar or Marriott

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 January 2012, 23:35
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip w/teens, Hyatt Mission Bay, Solamar or Marriott

Belmont Park has the water sports (Wave House) and other amusements. Plus the Pacific Ocean is right there, including the boardwalk where they can rent bikes and enjoy a nice safe ride along a specific bike pathway.

Belmont Park also has a set of Shops, as does the stores right across the street on Quivera, mainly Beach related stuff

http://www.belmontpark.com/

As for the Giant Dipper it is a classic, with a ride length of almost 2 minutes, and 73 feet in height.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Dipper_(San_Diego)

And to compare, SeaWorld is opening a new Roller Coaster this summer (Manta) and that will be just under 50 feet in height.

Edited: 25 January 2012, 23:10