We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for fun cheap things to do in San Diego

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for fun cheap things to do in San Diego

My son (age 7) and I will be coming to San Diego for a few days at the end of March. We are staying with a friend so we don't need accommodations, but I am looking for suggestions on things to do that would be fun and interesting for the both of us without breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance!

Renae

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for fun cheap things to do in San Diego

What part of San Diego will you be staying at?

One big question, will you have access to a vehicle while in San Diego?

The Balboa Park area has some nice museums, some areas are free, some have a small admission charge.

The Old Town State Park has a lot of exhibits, most of which are free.

The San Diego Mission is another low cost site.

Of course, just spending time at the Beach and Mission Bay.

A bit more in price would be the USS Midway museum and the San Diego Maritime Museum, but at the low end of the price range.

Birch Aquarium, part of the Scripps Institute, in La Jolla is another good choice.

The Torrey Pines State Reserve is a great half day of easy hiking and amazing views.

www.sandiego.org

Edited: 26 January 2012, 22:03
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for fun cheap things to do in San Diego

Go to the beach and rent bikes. The two of you can cruise the paved waterfront path together.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,030 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for fun cheap things to do in San Diego

For a 7 year old: bikes,the interactive science museum in Balboa Park or the Natural History Museum.

Beaches for sand play and jumping in the waves

visit La Jolla Cove to see the seals on the beach and the pelicans on the nearby rocks

Hike/walk Torrey Pines State Park

Edited: 26 January 2012, 23:54
Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for fun cheap things to do in San Diego

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! We are staying at the LaJolla Marriott and we will have a car for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Monday it will just be my son and I with no car since my friend will have to go back to work that day.

Thanks!

Renae

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,030 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for fun cheap things to do in San Diego

On Monday, when you don't have a car, you could walk to the nearby outdoor mall, University Towne Center where there is an indoor ice skating rink.

There are also parks nearby where he could play.

IF your friends live in the neighborhood I am sure they can give you directions to the parks.

Also right AT UTC(the mall) you can find many buses which would take you to beaches not far away. The #30 goes to La Jolla Shores and then continues to Pacific Beach.

Here's the bus route and time table. Click on it to make it larger:

transit.511sd.com/Services/Route.aspx?r=30

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for fun cheap things to do in San Diego

you can consider our itinerary at his post : …blogspot.com/2012/01/coronado-bridge-diego-…

7. Re: Looking for fun cheap things to do in San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2013, 10:23