We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with hotel !!! Very confused...

perth
Level Contributor
83 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Help with hotel !!! Very confused...

Hi

We will be in San Diego from 5th to 7th April , just staying two nights , passing by. We are a family of 5, (2A and 3C (11, 12 and 14).

I have been looking on Trip Advisor and Expedia on hotels in San Diego. We would like to do Sea World and perhaps Legoland (for my 11yr old son) and have a look around San Diego city etc.

Looked at DoubleTree by Hilton - Hotel Circle as they have suites and its quite nice. Is that a good place ? Not too far from things/sites?

What about Holiday Inn Express Seaworld? Too far from nice restaurants, shops etc?

Budget about $100 or so per night.

Any suggestions would be useful. Might have a rental car, not sure yet.

Cheers

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,266 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with hotel !!! Very confused...

I wouldn't stay at either hotel withOUT a car.

A suite for 5 at $100 is quite a low price for this area!

IF you've already found something in that price range then I'd just book it!

The Hotel Circle area is central but not scenic. It is a bunch of hotels next to a large freeway(highway). There's a nice mall and some decent restaurants but they are on the other side(north side) of the highway and I am not sure about walking to them. There's another Doubletree that is near a stop on our lightrail that would be more convenient for getting around without a car.

It may very well be more expensive:

…hilton.com/en_US/…index.do

Getting to Legoland with no car is not particularly easy although possible.

I'd only go with an 11 year old if he is REALLY into legos as most of the rides/activities were planned for younger children.

IF you want an inexpensive idea for that would be convenient for public transportation then take a look at:

Old Town Inn or let me know if you'll have a car and I can suggest others.

perth
Level Contributor
83 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with hotel !!! Very confused...

Thanks Riff M,

I will have a look at Old Town Inn.

We might get a car then. What could you suggest?

Thanks.

Level Contributor
22 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with hotel !!! Very confused...

You could probably stay in Carlsbad which is close to Legoland and not too far to drive to San Diego, Hotels will probably be more affordable than San Diego.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with hotel !!! Very confused...

With only 2 nights here make your life easier and get a car. Our public transportation will take longer and you'll be on the Bus schedule. Also, too difficult to get to Legoland.

Are you flying in / out of SD? If not, how are you getting to San diego? Where are you going afterwards? I ask because Legoland is between San Diego and Anaheim if your going there.

perth
Level Contributor
83 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with hotel !!! Very confused...

Hi vhargans and elizzie4000,

Yes, we are hiring a car to drive around San Diego from Anaheim, then onto Las Vegas etc.

That is probably the best bet. Dont want to get lost on public transportation!! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Cheers

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,655 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with hotel !!! Very confused...

So supergroovymum, did you settle on a hotel? Just curious :)

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with hotel !!! Very confused...

I agree with RiffM that you might want to skip Legoland unless your 11-year old is extremely passionate about Legos. IMHO you should save the entrance fees for something the entire family will enjoy. Legoland is more for the 4-10 year old set. Yes, your 11-year old may still like it, but consider something more suitable for all. Why not visit the USS Midway instead? Your kids will love it.

Oops. I just realized your original post was on 2-7-12.

Edited: 24 February 2012, 17:48
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with hotel !!! Very confused...

I agree that you might want to re-think Legoland. My sister was just there with 2 & 4 yr old grandkids and she was glad she took them but kept telling me 'its for really little kids'. Of course, there's a regular here who always says he and his wife enjoy it w/o kids. So, I suppose it depends how much you're into those Legos.

But, for such a short visit (and it's expensive) you might find something that everyone will enjoy. Since you'll have a car you might head to the beach for a couple of hours.

http://www.belmontpark.com/

On our Bay Front

http://www.thebigbay.com/

http://www.midway.org/

http://www.seaportvillage.com/

www.sdhe.com/san-diego-harbor-tours.html

perth
Level Contributor
83 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with hotel !!! Very confused...

Hi all,

thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will skip Legoland, as I have looked at the website and looked at the rides etc and it looks like they are aimed at little ones!!! So, will be skipping Legoland and perhaps go to USS Midway instead.

yes, scottca075...I have just booked Holiday Inn Express Downtown, it looks very reasonable and decent and I believe its central. Hopefully we are good there!!!

Thanks again so much for your help and suggestions, guys. Its so good to know there's people out there to help with tips etc.

Cheers

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with hotel !!! Very confused...

Enjoy your holiday! We will also be in Vegas, San Diego & Anaheim in April 2012!