We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two different lodgings, two different locales - help please

Ottawa
Level Contributor
758 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Two different lodgings, two different locales - help please

My husband, 15 year old son, and I are planning to spend two weeks in California this summer (in July). Our itinerary for the first week is pretty well mapped out with reservations booked (Monterey for 3 nights, Cambria for 1 night, Santa Barbara for 2 nights, LA for 1 night). Now we need to firm up our last week, which we are wanting to spend in the San Diego area . Our interests: golf (for my husband), biking, swimming, snorkeling, boogie boarding, and other low key water activities. We really want to have this time to relax, unwind but also to discover and explore (but in "slow mo" kind of state). We're looking for 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom accommodation, with kitchen, living room and resort amenities, i.e. pool, hot tub, tennis courts, and the like, within close (walking) proximity to the beach, restaurants and local activities. And we're also looking for accommodation with air conditioning. I have noticed that many of the lodging facilities along the coast don't have air conditioning (from what I understand, it's really not needed because of the cross-winds) but it really is a must for our family (due my husband's heat sensitivities). That being said, it's been difficult to find a place that meets all of our criteria. I have, however, been successful in finding two such places. The first is a vacation rental (which I found through VRBO) in Del Mar (Sea Point) at approx. $2600/week. The second is a condo rental at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort in Oceanside at approx. $2700/week. Given our interests and what we are looking for, which of the two do you think would be better for our family? Advice, suggestions, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Special Offer
Skip the Line: USS Midway Museum
379 reviews
from US$18.00*
US$23.00
San Diego Zoo
160 reviews
from US$54.00*
San Diego Harbor Dinner Cruise
98 reviews
from US$89.82*
San Diego Tour: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley
240 reviews
from US$39.95*
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,395 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two different lodgings, two different locales - help please

nm

Edited: 15 February 2012, 00:18
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,931 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two different lodgings, two different locales - help please

Can you give us the VRBO number for the sea point lodging?

When I use Google it doesn't seem to be really at a beach to me.

The other one is at a nice beach but my problem with Oceanside as a town is that it is at the far northern edge of SD County and except for the area right by the beach , it is not on as nice as some of the other towns.

It has a very large presence of young marines from the nearby base and the bars/restaurants in town cater more to them than to the families at the beach.

That is also one reason that rentals in that area are often less expensive than other towns along the coast. On the other hand many families enjoy staying there and the beach/harbor area is quite lovely.

I am not familiar with the golf courses nearby.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,395 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two different lodgings, two different locales - help please

There is a huge difference between Oceanside and Del Mar.

Oceanside is not one of the nicer cities in SD County, Del Mar is.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,908 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two different lodgings, two different locales - help please

RiffM, I wonder if the condo is located on Carmel Valley Road in Del Mar. If that's the case, it would be in 10-15 min walking distance from Torrey Pines State Beach. I stayed in a condo there and think it may have been called Sea Point, but I may be mistaken.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
758 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two different lodgings, two different locales - help please

This is the link to the Del Mar condo.

http://www.vrbo.com/302383

From what I understand, it is near the Torrey Pines Preserve

And here is the link to the Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort.

http://www.wyndhamoceansidepier.com/

Thanks again

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,908 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two different lodgings, two different locales - help please

Go with the Del Mar condo. You can't go wrong! It is in a great location, and you are half way between the Del Mar downtown area and the La Jolla downtown ("the village") area. Both are lovely places with good to excellent restaurants.

Since you are so close to the Torrey Pines State Beach (even closer than I thought), don't miss the State Reserve with its hiking trails and beautiful views from the cliffs. The world renowned Torrey Pines public golf course is right next to the reserve.

For all the water sports La Jolla Shores (about an 8 minute drive south) is a great place. It has a wide beach, great for surfing and boogieboarding, kayaking, paddle boarding and even snorkeling. You can also rent bikes there, or just kick back on the beach.

From the condo it is probably 15-20 min to most of the San Diego attractions.

Edited: 15 February 2012, 01:29
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,931 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two different lodgings, two different locales - help please

I agree with ElleLaJolla!

Go with the Del Mar condo.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,161 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two different lodgings, two different locales - help please

Ummm I think I would stay at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club.

http://www.ljbtc.com/GuestRooms?ssid=212819

It is on the beach, has tennis, has golf, has boogie boarding, has snorkeling and is close to all the major attractions.

Even though the Wyndham is nice, I wouldn't stay in Oceanside as a place to explore San Diego. It is the extreme northern end.

Be aware that in July in Del Mar, the race track opens and the SD County Fair closes. It can be busy there.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
758 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two different lodgings, two different locales - help please

Thanks for the tips. Looks like Del Mar is the place for us. And by the way, I had checked out the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club several weeks back but the nightly rates were far too steep for budget.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,908 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two different lodgings, two different locales - help please

Since the condo is as far south in Del Mar as it gets, any traffic going to La Jolla and/or San Diego (and back) is not nearly as bad as it would be further north near the fairgrounds/racetrack. Driving south on Torrey Pines Road will not be much affected.