We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late night dining options

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Racine,WI
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Late night dining options

My husband and I will be flying in late on a Wednesday night in a few weeks and will be hungry! By late I mean 9pm-ish by the time we get our bags and rental car, etc... We would like something other than fast food but nothing that will break the bank... And would it be a good idea to check into hotel (Paradise Point) and then go to dinner or dinner first and then hotel? Thanks!

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late night dining options

Although many restaurants in San Diego close early (10:30-ish), there are some that stay open longer. Newport Pizza & Ale House on Newport Ave in Ocean Beach is not too far from Paradise Point. Good pizza and beer. You could either go there straight from the airport (N. Harbor Dr to Nimitz Blvd into Ocean Beach), or check into your hotel first, and go from Ingraham to Sunset Cliffs Blvd into OB.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late night dining options

Well, since Paradise Point is isolated and there is nothing nearby to go to eat I'd say you'd either need to stop on the way there or eat in the hotel.

I googlemapped the route from the airport to Paradise Point. The route takes you on N. Harbor Dr to Nimitz. You will pass Liberty Station where there are some restaurants. You'd have to look to see if any appeal to you.

libertystation.com/directory-type/dining

If that doesn't work you then would turn right on Nimitz and there aren't any restaurants on Nimitz. There are restaurants not to far in Point Loma but if it were me and I didn't stop in Liberty Station I'd try to find something closer to the hotel. Maybe someone will come along and recommend a restaurant closer to your hotel you can stop at.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late night dining options

Saskas in Mission Beach, not far from your hotel by car, serves dinner until midnight midweek. Check out the web page.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,264 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late night dining options

Adults only, I would go three minutes up Ingraham Blvd to Rocky's Crown Pub for the best burger in San Diego.

Burgers, fries and beer, cash only, open until midnight.

http://rockyburgers.com/Rockys_Home.html

There is also Harney Sushi in Old Town that serves sushi until at least 11PM.

http://www.harneysushi.com/#/locations

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late night dining options

That looks like a Good Burger at Rocky's! At least it looks like they serve a decent size hamburger patty.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,521 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Late night dining options

Rocky's may not only be the best burger in SD but the best burger anywhere.

Not gourmet by any means, just a beach bar although not on the beach with one thing on the menu 1/2 pound or 1/3 pound.

On the weekends the doors open at 11am by 1115 the place is full.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late night dining options

Good to know. I really would like to try one. The photo makes the hamburger look sooo good. I was disappointed w/ Hoodad's because their patty is thin and it's piled high w/ their 'veggies'. Gimme the thicker beef patty!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,521 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Late night dining options

Agree about Hodads, not even close to as good as Rocky's. Hodads is ok not great by any means and very overrated.

9. Re: Late night dining options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2013, 22:23