We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning - Hotel Del Coronado

San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Warning - Hotel Del Coronado

Be careful when you book an ocean front room at the Del (in the original building area). They are doing construction - although Reservations WILL NOT TELL YOU THIS. My wife and I decided to upgrade to an ocean front with a balcony - and it was great - until we were awakened the next morning at 8 from the noise of heavy machinery. Also, the backhoes, earth movers, etc. make it impossible to sit out on your deck - unless you like breathing deisel fumes.

BTW, the lady at the front desk when we checked in didn't even bother mentioning anything about the construction either.

Tucson AZ
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning - Hotel Del Coronado

I just came back from SD and stayed at the Glorietta Bay Inn (across the street from the Del). We also noticed lots of construction going on and outside the Del is the employees with a big sign about a labor dispute. So you have 2 negatives going on at the Del at this time, construction and a labor dispute.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning - Hotel Del Coronado

That is great info..When you are paying those prices,you need to be compensated..Did you notify management of your situation?..It is not too late..2 Comp Easter buffets sounds like a fair settlement.....

San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning - Hotel Del Coronado

I notified manangement the first morning when we awoke to the construction. They said they didn't have any available ocean fronts left - but I could have a garden view. We said no thanks - wouldn't be the same.

A few days after I got back, I sent a letter to Rob Vaine, Front Desk Manager. I even asked him to write back to me explaining how a "classy" resort could do this. After 2 weeks without hearing from him, I decided to post here.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning - Hotel Del Coronado

We just returned fron San Diego (brrr cold!!) and agree with the above. We had booked at the Del and changed after a travel agent told us there "may" be renovations. My husband didn't want to chance it, and the front desk did not tell us when we asked. We did bike to the Del, toured the lobby and ate lunch outside. The construction noise was obvious during lunch, and we were glad we weren't paying top dollar to listen to that all day long. There were also pickets outside at least two of the days last weekend regarding "unfair to labor'.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning - Hotel Del Coronado

Take it higher..Ask to speak to the Director of Operations or the GM....

San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning - Hotel Del Coronado

1life2live:

OK, I took it higher - sent letter to GM. We'll see if anything happens....

San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning - Hotel Del Coronado

Update:

The GM was very concerned.

Since the Del is obviously a high end hotel, he's concerned about the happiness & concerns of every guest that stays there.

I got a letter from him yesterday, and he took $100 off for each night that we stayed there.

I think this was a very nice thing for them to do.