We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help on accomodation choices

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Need help on accomodation choices

I will be visiting San Diego for the first time in early September with my busband and our 5 year old son.

Planning to have four nights in San Diego and do the usual touristy things: 1 day at the Zoo; 1 day at Seaworld; 1 day for Midway ship, Maritime Museum, La Jolla shores or Mission beach; 1 day for Downtown Gaslapm district, little Italy, old town, some shopping.

We are planning to rent a car, drive from LA to San Diego, then drive to Vegas after our stay at SD. I am a bit nervous about driving on the opposite side of the road so trying to find a hotel which is relatively easier to get to the areas we intend to visit.

I've been looking at hotels in San Diego and have now narrowed down to the following three:

1. Doubletree by Hilton at Mission Valley

2. Hilton San Diego Bayfront

3. US Grant

US Grant is on the list simply because Hotwire is offering a good rate ($180 per night including taxes), but I don't like the idea of paying $32 per night for parking and it's valet only.

Between 1 & 2, I am leaning toward 1, because it seems to be within walking distance to Norstrom Rack! I wan to do some shopping there on my own when my son is tired and husband can mind him in the hotel.

Questions:

1. If we want to have cafe/restaurants within walking distance for breakfast and dinner, which one is better? No. 1 or No. 2? I assume No. 3 would have plenty of choices around...

2. Which hotel is easier to get to the attractions so we don't waste our time sitting in the traffic?

Can someone help me decide? I am going crazy having to choose accomodations for our 6 week holiday! Many thanks in advance.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help on accomodation choices

Definitely The Hilton Bayfront over anything in Mission Valley including the Doubletree. There is no comparison the Hilton location is MUCH better.

Mission Valley is a pretty vanilla area with shopping and strip malls and not much else.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help on accomodation choices

Thanks Goodbeer. Is Hilton Bayfront easy to get in and out when we go to visit the Zoo and Seaworld?

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help on accomodation choices

***US Grant is on the list simply because Hotwire is offering a good rate ($180 per night including taxes), but I don't like the idea of paying $32 per night for parking and it's valet only. ***

What rate are you getting for Hilton Bayfront with parking?

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help on accomodation choices

***Is Hilton Bayfront easy to get in and out when we go to visit the Zoo and Seaworld?***

Very. As is Grant.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help on accomodation choices

From the Hilton it will take you about 5 minutes to drive to the Zoo and 10-15 minutes to get to Sea World.

As mentioned easy from the Grant as well. $180 plus $32 per night is a good rate for the Grant. The Hilton though has a more picturesque setting on the Bay, the Grant is in central downtown.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 04:44
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help on accomodation choices

Hilton Bayfront is about $140 per night including taxes. Plus $27 a night for parking, which is a lot too! With Double Tree Hilton Mission Valley, parking is $16 per night, but someone mentioned you can park across the road somewhere free of charge... Don't know how safe that is.

The entry level room at Hilton Bayfront seems to be bigger than US Grant. But I do like the building and interior decor of US Grant. I am trying to avoid driving through streets in downtown, thinking it might be quite busy and narrow??

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help on accomodation choices

<<I am trying to avoid driving through streets in downtown, thinking it might be quite busy and narrow??>>

No not really. Our Downtown streets are wide, several lanes across. Traffic isnt really an issue downtown either. I live Downtown so I drive downtown every day.

Also, I just reread your original post. With a 5 year old Id pick the Hiton over the Grant, There is a lot of Park Space along the water front near that hotel as well as a marina to look at boats and the bay to watch boats and kyaks, etc.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 04:51
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help on accomodation choices

That sounds great and now you've made me seriously consider US Grant ! One more question: Does US Grant have more and better shops (department stores will do, eg Norstrom, Macy's) within walking distance than Hilton Bayfront?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help on accomodation choices

Yes, a 5 year old active boy certainly complicates things a bit! If it's just me and my husband, I would pick US Grant. The basic room in Hilton Bayfront seems to be bigger and lighter than US Grant. I can choose to have two beds with Bayfront. With US Grant through hotwire, I am not guarateed with two beds in a room. So, I guess I should go with Bayfront and forget about my shopping....

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help on accomodation choices

I'd book Hilton Bayfront through Hilton directly. It probably will go down in price in the next couple of months. You'll be closer to shopping at the Grant, but your son will love the pool at Bayfront!