We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning a trip

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berrow, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
270 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning a trip

Hi All,

I have given quite a lot to Tripadvisor, now I would like some help in planning a California trip, I want to include San Diego as it looks & sounds so beautiful.

It is my 60th in June which is when we'd like to go.

We have 2 weeks,available, any advise most welcome

Thankyou

Michael

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,819 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning a trip

Hi Michael,

I see you have a lot of reviews but not many forum posts.

Your question is very broad and so difficult to answer!!

There are many different sorts of hotels at all price levels.

There are many things to see/do but what we suggest may depend on :

Who all is in your travel group?(ages/interests??)

Will you have a rental car?(some activities hard to reach on public transport)

What is your price range for hotel and what sort do you need(1 room, suite for family etc)

IF you tell us a little bit about your interests/style of lodging/travel group etc then we can make intelligent suggestions.

Berrow, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning a trip

Hi,

Thank you & yes I forgot info that would be useful.

It's for my Wife & I, it'll be my 60th birthday in June, my Wife is 55 We would arrange a rented car for our arrival. Accommodation req'd would be minimal, as long as is clean it's just somewhere to sleep with the odd 2/3 night stay somewhere a little up market, with a pool.

During the trip we'd like to see San Francisco as well as San Diego but there must be so much to do I would'nt know where to start

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning a trip

California is almost twice as large as Great Britain. San Francisco is about 500 miles from San Diego.

California has so many things to see and do, that I advise you to get a travel guide and read it. Do you want to see nature (redwood trees, Giant Sequoias, Yosemite, Big Sur, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, etc.) or do you want to experience the different cities (San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego)? Do you want to visit amusement parks or sit at a beach?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning a trip

Hi Michael - I agree that you need to do a little more research and pick up a couple of guide books and get an idea as to what you want to do between the two cities. As said, we are a very long way from San Francisco. It's over an 8 hr drive without stopping between the 2 cities. There is a forum on TA called 'Road Trips'. You might find that helpful. There is a lot to see / do between San Francisco and San Diego.

There is so much to see and do here in San Diego. San Diego itself is something like the 6th largest city in the US. However, our Downtown is very small and easily walkable and has public transportation. So deciding on where to stay depends on what you are looking for in a place to stay and what your budget is per night.

Las Cruces
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning a trip

I would suggest doing at least part of the Pacific Coast Highway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. It can be pretty crowded, but the views are spectacular.

Berrow, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning a trip

Good Morning from the UK,

Thank you all so far for your contributions as has helped in realising that we need to determine what areas of recreation that we want.

We love driving & visiting new areas, we like famous places, when visiting friends in San Antonio, Texas we visited The Alamo, loved it. We also love the beach.

We are not worried about 500 mile road trip as there must be so much in between, we could stay one night or two depending on the area, I think it will end up being about 18 days that we have available so that will help.

Over the years and talking to friends etc several areas have come up in conversation, I have looked into places such as San Diego, Beverley Hills, Fishermans Wharf/San Francisco, Grand Canyon and especially the Pacific Coast highway that was mentioned earlier.

Also would consider a one off base in between and do a house/car swap, does that happen in the US.

Bye for now

Michael

Have even thought about house/car swaps etc

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,819 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help planning a trip

There are separate web sites for people who want to do house swaps so I'd probably explore that if it interests you.

San Diego has historic sites like:

Cabrillo National Monument-where Portuguese explorer sailing for Spain landed in the 1600s. It has ca. history,

180 deg. views. and tide pools below.

Several missions started by Father Serra in the 1700s

Old Town State Park which has old buildings and re-creations of the first settlements in San Diego

There's also Balboa Park with its gardens ,small museums, live theater, artisan shops , and outdoor entertainment.

www.balboapark.org

Our small waterfront downtown has ships to visit and cruises on the bay.

There are also scenic areas along the ocean/beaches/ etc.

You could easily spend 4 days or more in San Diego alone depending on what you'd like to see/do

People often take 2 weeks or more to just fly into San Diego , drive up the coast stopping in various spots and ending with some more days in San Francisco. (and LA along the way too)

To add on the Grand Canyon which is in the state of Arizona would perhaps make it a 3 week trip.

IF you go to the California forum on the left side you'll see descriptions of the various stops on the coast highway.

Folks often stop in Santa Barbara, the small town of Cambria , then drive through the scenic Big Sur portion of the road and stop in Monterey or Carmel , on the way to San Francisco.

Good luck in your planning!!

Please come back to the individual city/town forums when you are ready to discuss lodging. It is helpful to mention actual prices for lodging in USA $$s when asking for more advice.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,306 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help planning a trip

You haven't mentioned where you are flying into or out of.

If you want to do the Grand Canyon I think I would fly into Phoenix and start the trip there.

Drive to San Diego for a few days and then work your way up the coast, ending with 3 nights in San Francisco and flying home from there.

So if you have 17 nights, it breaks down something like this, 2 nights AZ, 3 nights San Diego and 3 nights San Francisco. That leaves 9 nights to cover the distance between SD and SF.

Places to consider on the coast include Santa Barbara, Cambria, Monterey/Carmel and then someplace in the LA/Orange County area. It really depends on how much sightseeing you want to do, what kind of sights you want to see.

But giving a bit of direction on your flights is key. If you have to fly in and out of one airport, like LAX for example, that would change the suggestions completely.

International gateway cities (and airports) are SFO, LAX, LAS (Las Vegas, NV) and PHX. flying into any of them has certain advantages. Las Vegas is always a fun place for a birthday, for example.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,819 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help planning a trip

Just to clarify a bit-- It is a 9hr. drive from the Grand Canyon to San Diego or the LA area. The rest of the trip can be done in much shorter drives.

10. Re: Need help planning a trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 04:41