We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mini-Trip Report Feb. 24th-26th

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
mini-Trip Report Feb. 24th-26th

Everyone is so helpful on this forum so I thought this small report could assist someone out there.

Drove from Ventura area (30 minutes South of Santa Barbara) to Old Town. Driving time, about 3 1/2 hours. I prefer to take the train, but had some stops and errands that necessitated a car.

Primary reason for the trip was to see a basketball game at U.S.D.

That's why we stayed in Old Town, a 5-minute bus ride to Jenny Craig Arena. 2nd reason was to pick up and relocate a dog in Carlsbad(that's why the car).

Obtained the room through Hotwire. Ended up with the La Quinta Inn. Total for 2 nights, $130 w/taxes and fees, very reasonable. I always use Hotwire or Priceline, it's easy and saves you money. If you're fussy, go get a $300 per night room, not for me, I'd rather spend the extra on activities. La Quinta was fine, clean, quiet, free breakfast, nice people. Dog friendly too.

After check-in on Friday, drove to Balboa Park. Plenty of free parking there, not to worry. Only about a 7-minute drive from Old Town. Went to the Natural History Museum. It was terrific. There are several good museums in the park, we only had time for one on this trip. I could spend 2 or 3 days just in Balboa Park.

Drove back to the hotel and parked for the night. Took the #10 bus from Old Town to Hillcrest for dinner. Ate at Ristorante Arrivaderci, highly touted on T.R. Wasn't disappointed, meal was great, reasonably priced. They are open for lunch, then close until 5:00 for dinner. We got there a little early so found a neighborhood bar for a couple of cocktails. Wow, bartender had a heavy hand.

Returned to Old Town, same bus, only about a 10 minute ride, much easier than driving and parking, especia;;y after those two wallops.

Sat. A.M. Walked to Old Town Mining Company (Congress St) for breakfast. Eggs, sausage, and potatoes, $3.00. And it was good. Best deal in Old Town.

Hadn't seen Mission Beach for many years so we drove

over there to kill the morning. About a 10 minute drive, including getting lost. Plenty of free parking right next to the beach and Belmont Park. Roller coaster right there, plenty of rides and food stands if you have kids. There's lots of things to keep them busy.

Back to Old Town, plenty to see there also. Interesting and educational. Lots of tourists, plus a Harley-Davidson meet there Sat. A.M. Must have been 200 of them, great for business, but a little noisy..

Had a couple of Margarita's at a place called Miguel's. Free chips and salsa. Had to get in the mood for the 4:00 P.M. basketball game.

Took the #44 bus to U.S.D. Only a 5 minute ride. Parking can be difficult for those games, so the bus was a no-brainer. My school (Gonzaga) tried to lose, but finally pulled it off with about 3 minutes left in the game. Typical for Gonzaga, they've been bitten playing that cat & mouse game many times.

Back to Old Town, wasn't starving so we split a pizza and salad at Pizza Bella. Very satisfactory. Next trip I'm for sure going to have dinner at Berta's. This is Latin America/South American food. Some of my favorite and rather unique. Don't confuse with Mexican food, it's not the same.

Sun. A.M. Breakfast again at Old Town Mining Company. Easy check-out, and off to Carlsbad and points North.

Happy ending. Picked up a Yorky terrier in Carlsbad whose owner had passed away. I knew this dog really well, that's how I got involved. Found a terrier rescue site on the internet. He got adopted by a nice family within 1 hour, In fact, there were 4 families fighting over him. He's a doll. Mission accomplished.

Hope this little report can be of help to someone.

R.P.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,110 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mini-Trip Report Feb. 24th-26th

Thanks for writing!

Glad you mentioned some restaurants in Old Town that were not necessarily Mexican! Also thanks for telling us about the #10 bus.

I know a bunch of the bus lines but not that one.

It's good to learn new things from visitors!!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mini-Trip Report Feb. 24th-26th

Hey Ventura county neighbor-

We could have carpooled as I went the same time....stayed in La Jolla though.

Regarding your pizza stop.....next time try Bronx Pizza on Washington St. Right by Market St.

Ive driven from Thousand Oaks before just for the pizza, it's that good!

Dr. Z

Level Contributor
34,218 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mini-Trip Report Feb. 24th-26th

Sounds very fun! That is so nice that you found the Yorky a good home. :).

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mini-Trip Report Feb. 24th-26th

Thank you for your wonderful trip report. You are right, this will be helpful to other visitors as well as us locals. Glad to hear you were able to use public transportation for some of your destinations.

And do try Bertha's next time you are in Old Town. I finally did--despite some misgivings after reading (and hearing) some reviews--and was pleasantly surprised.

I was in Ventura last week after many years, and loved how nice the downtown area has become. Enjoyed Anacapa Brewing Co & Nature's Grill.

Ventura...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: mini-Trip Report Feb. 24th-26th

Your the Best Pratt Man!!!!!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mini-Trip Report Feb. 24th-26th

Thanks for the Trip Report. So happy to hear that you were able to help the llittle guy out with finding him a new home. Good for you!

7. Re: mini-Trip Report Feb. 24th-26th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 22:40