We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Beach or Mission Beach

Kansas
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Beach or Mission Beach

Want to stay on the beach for our last night in San Diego, I like a couple of mom and pop hotels at these places. Or I wonder if La Jolla would be best. Mainly just want to be close to that water for the last time before heading back to Kansas! Would appreciate any suggestions. We do want to be 1/2 hour or less from San Diego International for our flight.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Beach or Mission Beach

What is your budget and when will you be here?

Each beach area has a different flavor. Ocean Beach is a throwback to the '60s with its surfing and (Harley Davidson) biking community. Mission Beach is party beach in summer. La Jolla is fairly staid and more upscale than the other two.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,992 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Beach or Mission Beach

Pacific Beach would be my pick. OB is just a little out there for me.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,914 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Beach or Mission Beach

Im with Scott on OB. Its a kind of grimey beach town. I was there today and needed a shower when I left.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Beach or Mission Beach

<<I was there today and needed a shower when I left.>>

Funny, GoodBeer : ) I guess you don't shower when you visit other beaches? In defense of OB, it does have its charms, like the new Pizza Port, South Beach Bar & Grille and of course, the notorious The Black. Also, lots of antiques shopping, and there is a nice cafe at the end of the pier that serves great fish tacos. Let's just say OB is eclectic (that's what its Mainstreet Assn calls the town). I'd probably say the same for PB's main drag, Garnet Ave.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Beach or Mission Beach

That was funny :)

But, I do agree with Elle. I don't think it's that's bad. Nothing wrong with sitting with a view and walk for a bite to eat for 1 night. My nephews grew up there and turned out ok. Although they did shower a lot ...

My Mom used to get her hair done on Newport across the street from (or close to) Nati's Mexican Rest. She liked going there and she was in her late 70's :)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,689 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Beach or Mission Beach

There's only 1 hotel I know of right at the beach in OB,well, maybe 2 with the B&b near Dog Beach.

It seems that Mr. Riff and I are the only "back to the 60s" types on these boards.

We like to walk out on the pier in OB.

We like the antique stores.

We like the street fair/market on Wed afternoon/evening.

It is a real local's beach!!

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Beach or Mission Beach

I think OB and its Bohemian vibe is pretty cool. I admire those who beat their own drum and enjoy being around diverse walks of life. Most neighborhoods are rather vanilla- OB has character! Not to mention OBistro Cafe has some of the best lobster bisque I've ever tasted.

From a visitor perspective, I don't see OB being that much of contrast from Pacific Beach.

Would I want to stay there? not really.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean Beach or Mission Beach

Do you all count Inn at Sunset Cliffs as an Ocean Beach hotel?

If the OP is doing this on transit, I'd definitely pick Pacific Beach over the others. By car it becomes a preference thing, as people have said.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,605 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean Beach or Mission Beach

I like Ocean Beach too - and I do like the bohemian, eclectic atmosphere. I like Pacific Beach too for similar reasons.

A lot of people love La Jolla, but as Ellie said, it is more "staid and more upscale", which isn't really to my taste. Give me grimey over staid any day :)

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocean Beach or Mission Beach

I've been going to OB for 30 yrs so I guess it just never occurred to me there was anything wrong with it. I think what some people think is wrong with it is that it hasn't changed so much in 30 yrs :)

I had my first fish taco at South Beach Bar & Grill something close to 20 yrs ago.