We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget for San Diego/Los Angeles vacation in September

Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Budget for San Diego/Los Angeles vacation in September

Hello,

I'm planning to visit San Diego in September and I want to know how much spending money I should bring? My flight and hotel are already paid for and I planning to get a rental car using my credit card. When I get down there, I'm going to visit a couple of beaches, park and local attractions, take a mini trip to Tijuana just to see Mexico and do a two day road trip to Los Angeles to do some sight seeing over there. I'm not a big restaurant/amusement park person and was planning to eat at the local spots/fast food joints. Would I by OK with a budget for about a $1000 for a seven day trip, including gas for the rental? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,755 posts
5,813 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget for San Diego/Los Angeles vacation in September

Yes....

This will cover it as long as you stay with budget friendly eating places (i.e. Budget to moderate priced restaurants).

We did San Diego/Los Angeles in January and took advantage of the San Diego Go Card...

which helped us have an amazing time.

Take a look at it to see if it fits any of your interests

It sounds however you are looking for even less expensive entertainment andin that case I would definitely say you could do it under $1000 for the week (as we did including our purchase of the go card).

We did budget friendly meals.....and had an absolutely wonderful time.

smartdestinations.com/san-diego-attractions-…

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget for San Diego/Los Angeles vacation in September

Beaches and Balboa Park are free.

Local attractions can be vary in price depending on what they are (Seaworld, Zoo, museums, Midway). You can check out the prices online for each attraction.

Food can be inexpensive if you eat in Mexican holes-in-the-wall (about $12).

A day trip to Tijuana shouldn't set you back too much if all you do is take the trolley down to the border, hop over to the other side and spend an hour or two there, have a bite to eat, do some windowshopping. Just remember to bring your passport to come back into the US. Also, coming back into the US can be a pain with the long lines to people waiting to enter. I personally don't think it is worth the time and expense.

Gas is the big unknown. A round trip to L.A. will set you back about half to 2/3 of a tank of gas (100 miles one way).

Accommodations in L.A. tend to be expensive (anywhere from $130 and up) for a two/three star hotel.

I think you can do it with $1000, but just in case, bring an extra $500.

Edited: 08 March 2012, 02:10
Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget for San Diego/Los Angeles vacation in September

The big unknown for me is going to visit LA and getting a place to stay overnight. I just want to have enough money to enjoy myself and see southern California w/o being tight on funds. Does anyone knows if it better to visit LA on the weekday or on the weekends because of traffic? Also, does anyone know anyone who lives in San Diego or Los Angeles? One of the main reason that I going down to CA is that I'm thinking about moving down there sometime soon and want to get some insight on the lifestyle down there.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget for San Diego/Los Angeles vacation in September

I live in San Diego as does ElleLaJolla.

But, if you turns this thread into a 'relocation' thread it might get deleted. Ask your questions as a tourist would. Also, this website might help

http://www.city-data.com/forum/

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget for San Diego/Los Angeles vacation in September

<<Also, does anyone know anyone who lives in San Diego or Los Angeles?>>

Uh, yeah, most of the people who answer questions about San Diego on the San Diego Forum live in SD.

How about checking out your OSU alumni association to see of you can find any Buckeyes around here and in L.A.? My DH is one, but it will be better for you to talk to someone who is your contemporary. The OSU alumni association has a member directory which may help you get some traction.

6. Re: Budget for San Diego/Los Angeles vacation in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:40