We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

torrey pines

new jersey
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Topic
torrey pines

We will be in San Diego by the convention center in May. We are wondering if we should hire a tour company (and which one do people recommend) to go hiking there or should we go alone? How does one get from sandiego convention center to torrey pines without a car? Also how does one get to Cornodao Island from tht area? I have heard that there is a boat going across? Thankd, Elizabeth

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: torrey pines

Hi Elizabeth - another Elizabeth here ....

I'll address the getting to Coronado Island. There is a ferry that goes from the Convention Center to Coronado. Easy to do.

http://www.sdhe.com/san-diego-bay-ferry.html

It goes to the Coronado Ferry Landing

http://www.coronadoferrylandingshops.com/

To get to the Village of Coronado and where the historic Hotel del Coronado and the beautiful beach is you can either take the 901 bus or a taxi from the Ferry Landing. A taxi will take approx 10 min or less.

coronadovisitorcenter.com/CVC/Transportation…

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,185 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: torrey pines

Hi,

Not sure where you live in NJ? Much like suburban NJ, San Diego is best explored with a car!

Torrey Pines is easily hiked alone BUT I don't know of a good way to get there on public transport. You can take the #30 bus from downtown all the way up to

the area near La Jolla cove (the H on the bus map) and then take a taxi from one of the hotels there.

Here is the map and route:

transit.511sd.com/Services/Route.aspx?r=30

The only other possibility I can think of is to get in touch with :

http://tourguidetim.com/la-jolla-tours/

who goes up to La Jolla from downtown but I don't know if he includes time for a hike in Torrey Pines? Perhaps he would arrange private transport for you but I don't know for sure.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: torrey pines

It's possible to get from the San Diego Convention Center to the entrance of Torrey Pines State Reserve on public buses, but I think it could take about 90 minutes or even 2 hours if you had to wait for your connecting bus.

You would either walk or take a San Diego Trolley from the convention center to Broadway in downtown and get bus #30 from downtown San Diego through Pacific Beach and La Jolla to the University Towne Center shopping mall.

At the bus stop at that mall you would get off that bus and get on the North County "Breeze" bus #101, and take that as far as Torrey Pines Road and get off there by the entrance of Torrey Pines State Reserve. I'm not sure where the nearest bus stop would be to the entrance, but you can tell the bus driver that's where you are going, and they will let you know which is the appropriate stop for it. Then you would walk into the reserve and do your hiking.

There is no entry fee if you simply walk into the reserve. Only visitors in vehicles pay a day use parking fee. Torrey Pines State Reserve is a primitive, natural area, and there is no food or drink sold there, and they even have a rule that no food is allowed. So eat well before going up there and bring your own water with you.

Then to get back to downtown, you would take the opposite, get on a southbound #101 bus on Torrey Pines Road, take it to University Towne Center and take a #30 bus back to downtown. Note that on weekends and holidays, #30 does not go all the way into downtown; on those days you would be able to ride it only to the Old Town Transit Center and then you would need to take a San Diego Trolley from there to near the Convention Center.

The good news about doing all that, is that you can buy a 1-day pass for the bus/trolley system, for $5, which would cover all your bus trips that day. So your total cost for all of that transportation would be $5. You can buy that $5 day pass from the bus driver of the first bus you get on, but you would have to hand them a $5 bill for it; they cannot make change. You can also buy it from most ticket vending machines at the trolley station stops, or you can buy it from the Transit Store which is at 102 Broadway in downtown, but that store is only open Monday-Friday 9am to 4 pm.

The bad news is that using the bus system to get to Torrey Pines would take time; I think you could spend up to 3 hours of the day just getting there and back on the buses. But if you were to try to take a taxi from downtown to Torrey Pines, that would cost quite a bit; I'm just guessing $25 to $30 one way, but I haven't taken a cab in a long time so I don't know what they cost right now.

You can buy 1, 2, 3, 4 or 14-day passes for the bus/trolley system, and the 4-day pass is only $15, a great bargain for transportation around the area. A single cab ride would probably cost you more than that. So yes, if you want to you can get from the Convention Center to Torrey Pines State Reserve on the public transit, but the entire trip will take up the better part of a day, and it will be most easily achieved on a Monday through Friday.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,185 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: torrey pines

I did not know about the North County Breeze 101.

Here is a map of the route:

http://www.gonctd.com/breeze_routes/101

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: torrey pines

The #101 bus stops right by the Torrey Pines golf course and Lodge, which is a great stop to get off and hike to TPSR. Just stay on the sidewalk on the golf course side. It eventually becomes a road that is closed to traffic, and continue walking north along the golf course until you come to a trailhead (Broken Hill trail). You can take that trail or continue on the road until you come to the visitor center.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: torrey pines

Thanks for the link to the map. It appears you would not even need to go all the way to University Towne Center. According to that map, you could transfer from bus #30 to bus #101 at a stop on Torrey Pines Road, right in front of UCSD. That would save time and backtracking. I'm not sure exactly which stop on that road would be common to both route 30 and 101, but the driver of bus #30 should be able to tell you which stop to get off at.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: torrey pines

I tried the MTS trip planner for this. It gives me a trip time of about 90 minutes, which seems about right. The first transfer point between the 30 and the 101 is at N. Torrey Pines Rd. & La Jolla Shores Rd.

8. Re: torrey pines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:42