We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A hotel needed near UCSD Medical Center-Hillcrest

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
A hotel needed near UCSD Medical Center-Hillcrest

I desperately need a help of local residents. I have to stay for a few days near the Medical Center and I hope to find a decent lodging in the area. Is there any hotel within a walking distance so I can spend time with my husband and walk there any time without worrying about my safety? Can someone generously recommend hotels near by? I rather not pay more than $200.00 plus tax per night since I will need to pay parking probably at the hotel and then the medical center as well if I have to drive.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A hotel needed near UCSD Medical Center-Hillcrest

Try the Sommerser Suites. It's close by - safe walk.

http://www.sommersetsuites.com/

Can't think of any other that would be walking distance.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A hotel needed near UCSD Medical Center-Hillcrest

Sommerset Suites is within walking distance, maybe about 10 blocks at most. However Sommerset is right next to an offramp of the 163 freeway and also right on the busy Washington Street, and right next to Scripps Mercy Hospital, which is a hospital with a busy emergency room, so there is always a lot of traffic in the area of Sommerset Suites. And the LifeFlight helicopter could take off or land nearby. Also the (much quieter )Vibra Hospital is right across the street. Other than the traffic noise, it's a good location if you need to be close to one of those hospitals. It's also within walking distance of many restaurants in Hillcrest. I can't think of another hotel that is right there in the Mission Hills area, though there may be some small B&B type places.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,238 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A hotel needed near UCSD Medical Center-Hillcrest

This is close to the hotel circle, about 1 mile. The Best Western is the closest hotel. But I don't know how safe is the walk.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A hotel needed near UCSD Medical Center-Hillcrest

There are some others but would be better with a car or take a short taxi ride. You 'could' walk but would make for less spontaneous visits as the walk would be longer.

With a car there are a lot of choices down the hill from the hosp. at Hotel Circle. If you go to googlemaps.com type in the 'address' of the hospital and click on Search Nearby and type in 'Hotels'

Back up the hill in Banker's Hill (next to Hillcrest)

Top of the Park (formerly Park Manor)

http://www.shellhospitality.com/en/Inn-at-the-Park?s_kwcid=TC|23052|park%20manor%20suites||S|b|16543081909

http://www.brittscripps.com/

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,194 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A hotel needed near UCSD Medical Center-Hillcrest

There are 2 B& Bs near the hospital.

I have no experience with either of them.

Hillcrest House B&B

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d586533-…

Kasa Korbett

tripadvisor.com/…UR97903147

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A hotel needed near UCSD Medical Center-Hillcrest

Sommerset Suites is approx 0.6 walking, 15 min or so.

The hotels down the hill - even the closer ones in distance will be a long walk especially going to the hospital and walking UP the hill. I would not walk it at night. Once you are past the giant Parking Structure there's nothing. There is a sidewalk and there are shrubs next to it. Staying in Hotel Circle is best with a car or take a taxi.

Bachman Place is the street that goes down to Hotel Circle.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A hotel needed near UCSD Medical Center-Hillcrest

I greatly appreciate your help. I'll be checking out all your options and make my decision not later than tomorrow. Unfortunately, it is so hard to decide on location when not familiar with the city. Summerset Suites sounded so appealing until I read how busy area it is. Well, it is time to study google maps. Thank you again

BTW, where is Hotel Circle? What hotels would you recommend there? I just want to make certain I won't be in a traffic madness if I have to get my husband to the clinic during rush hours. How long would take me to drive to 4168 Front Street?

Edited: 14 March 2012, 03:48
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A hotel needed near UCSD Medical Center-Hillcrest

Please don't be put off by what bw92116 said about the area near Sommerset Suites. I live a few minutes away and all my doctors are across the street and I'm in that area a lot. I eat in restaurants there a lot. I've never been aware of any real noise. It's not 'big city' or even close. My Mom has been in the hospital next door to it several times and even when the LifeFlight lands you're not going to hear it or very little with double glass. It's best to read the reviews. If it has what you want for your stay and is in your price range - I'd take it, You wouldn't have to get in a car to eat - at all. There are many restaurants, places for breakfast, etc. across the street and within a couple of blocks. It will also be quiet there at night. It's low key.

Hotel Circle is not in a neighborhood but a lot of hotels / motels along a freeway. Not much to nothing to walk to (restaurants, etc) But if you don't mind eating in your hotel or driving to eat than a place there is fine.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A hotel needed near UCSD Medical Center-Hillcrest

Re your question: <<How long would take me to drive to 4168 Front Street?>> From where? This is a very small area. As I said, not big city. You might have a couple of blocks of busy street from Sommerset so 5 or 8 mins.

Depending on where you stay in Hotel Circle it could take 10 min to 20 min depending on which hotel. I will also say (I have no agenda against your staying in Hotel Circle) but it is a two-lane road and you can have back up traffic with some delays if you are in rush hour. There are big companies on the road and when they are going to / from work, yes, it does get very backed up and will take longer. Again, it depends on where along the road you are as to how bad it will be.

My links never seem to work. So, if you go to google.com and type in the 'address' of your starting point (hospital, clinic) and then click on 'Search Nearby' and type in HOTELS in the little box they will all pop up. You will see the Hotel Circle ones as well as Sommerset Suites.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A hotel needed near UCSD Medical Center-Hillcrest

Thank you Elizzie for being so helpful and explaining patiently all details when my posts are not too clear. My brain is all over the place trying to take care of so many things at the same time. I have to be today at 4168 Front Street but my question was about a distance from Hotel Circle. I apologize that first I asked about it and only later I checked google maps. I should reverse this process but all seems so hectic now. Once my husband gets a proper help I'll be able to put my thoughts together. Today it is going to be a short visit at the medical clinic and I'll try to stop at the Sommerset Suites and check the place out. I need accommodation for a few days starting the next week. I could use my points at the Marriott's Residence Inn on Hotel Circle but that hotel seems so close to I-8 and farther away. It seems that Sommerset Suits would be a better fit for my needs.

I'm very grateful for all your help. Thank you