We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area to Stay in San Diego

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Best Area to Stay in San Diego

Hi

Can you please advise the best area/ part of San Diego to stay. We will be there for 3 nights late April - 2 adults and 2 older children (10 + 12). We will have a car but it would be nice not to have to drive everywhere. Our budget would be up to $250 per night maximum. There are so many districts - Gaslamp, Downtown, Coronado, Mission Bay etc that I am not sure what will be best due to our limited time. One thing I would like to avoid is a hotel with loud nightclub or overun with young children.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

67 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area to Stay in San Diego

When you ask about not having to drive everywhere are you asking about not having to drive to restaurants at night? Because going to sights like SeaWorld, Zoo, etc. if you have a car it's best to go with a car.

Based on what you said and IF you are wanting to be near restaurants I'd recommend Coronado. Most of the options in Mission Bay aren't walking distance to much. Another option is Old Town.

If you were to stay at the Coronado Marriott, you'd be walking distance to restaurants. Also, to the Ferry that will take you to Downtown SD. Which covers the Bay Front where the USS Midway, Maritime Museum, Seaport Village are.

http://www.thebigbay.com/

Another completely different option where you'd have to drive to all sights but could walk to have food options is the Homewood Suites Liberty Station for it's free breakfast, free parking and some free dinners.

Edited: 20 March 2012, 04:45
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area to Stay in San Diego

Thank you so much for you info. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I think Coronado sounds like the place for us.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area to Stay in San Diego

Alanac269,

I'm guessing that with children 10 and 12, you'll want to go to the beach. So that means Coronado, Pacific Beach, or La Jolla. All three of these communities offers restaurants and activities within walking distance of hotels. Regarding "not wanting a loud nightclub," La Jolla is the safest. Definately avoid Gaslamp - lots of nightclubs there. "Overrun with young children"...I think this depends more on the hotel than the area of town.

Hopes this helps.

Elizabeth Hansen

www.LaJollaTravelInformation.com

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area to Stay in San Diego

The Coronado Marriott has rooms with a view of Downtown San Diego. And, as I said, walking distance to the Ferry.

marriott.com/hotels/…

http://www.sdhe.com/san-diego-bay-ferry.html

If, for some reason that doesn't work out for you, on the other side of Coronado (approx 10-15 min) is the Village of Coronado and where the beautiful beach is. The Glorietta Bay Inn gets good reviews.

http://www.gloriettabayinn.com/

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Area to Stay in San Diego

I say this with a smile :) but to say that

"Regarding "not wanting a loud nightclub," La Jolla is the safest."

I must very respectfully say that IMO La Jolla is no more safer than Coronado. As Coronado has a very 'quiet' family reputation. Both in the Village and at the Marriott location. Especially since there are 'no' clubs anywhere close to by.

Edited: 20 March 2012, 05:10
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Area to Stay in San Diego

There are a few others that could be considered including the La Jolla Shores Hotel, maybe the Hilton Bayfront or Grand Hyatt Manchester, but the Marriott Coronado is a fine idea. Great little resort, nice views, good pool and the ferry is fun.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
427 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Area to Stay in San Diego

I would stay in Mission Bay if it were me. You have the boardwalk and endless amounts of restaurants within walking distance. The Marriott Cornado would be nice for along weekend away without the kids. Staying in Mission Bay will give you a great feel for the beach life.

David

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Area to Stay in San Diego

I agree with David, Coronado is a nice day trip but blaaahhh you can only take so much there! Everything closes at 10pm, way overpriced, far from everything, and I dont mind touristy stuff on vacation but thats like Disney world. Check out Paradise Point in mission bay. I honestly think that a hidden gem.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Area to Stay in San Diego

Another one that prefers places like Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, Mission Bay and even Old Town State Park area instead of being stuck on Coronado.

I think the Paradise Point Resort is a good location, in the middle of Mission Bay on Vacation Island.

http://www.paradisepoint.com

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Area to Stay in San Diego

I agree that Pacific Beach could be a good option. I was pointing out the Marriott for the OPs desire to NOT be in an area with loud clubs. Which, depending on where you stay in PB, may or may not be an issue. Mission Bay may not be the best choice because the OP doesn't want to drive everywhere. There are parts of MB that you'd have to drive every time you want to get a bite to eat.

As far as Coronado is concerned, the OP has children with them so I wouldn't think that, as randy w points out, that everything closes at 10 pm would be an issue with 10 & 12 yr old kids. I see this as a family vacation. Not a nightlife vacation.

If they are looking for nightlife than, yes, Pacific Beach would be better.

Reply to: Best Area to Stay in San Diego
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted