We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego to Burbank Airport - Amtrak?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
301 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego to Burbank Airport - Amtrak?

I'm flying from Burbank (BUR) airport at 12 (noon) and consider two options:

Option A: Amtrak from San Diego to BUR

Arrives: 9:27 AM

Option B: Book a hotel around BUR and go there the evening before.

First option (A) is cheapest, yet I'd be loosing a ticket worth $ 400,- if this Amtrak is delayed. Any thoughts on this?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego to Burbank Airport - Amtrak?

I think that Amtrak is safe with the time schedule. If Amtrak is delayed, they bring in buses to deal with track closures. With Burbank Airport, only about 1 hour before the flight is needed, as it is a small regional airport.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego to Burbank Airport - Amtrak?

I concur, the chance that your train will be more than 2 hours' late is really low. Your more likely problem is that you'll have a couple hours to sit around the little Burbank airport.

Edited: 21 March 2012, 14:20
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,264 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego to Burbank Airport - Amtrak?

Having had many friends delayed when they use Amtrak out of San Diego I am less sanguine about its reliability.

I'd go the night before.

Level Contributor
301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego to Burbank Airport - Amtrak?

2 versus 1. That makes me doubt even more. :-)

Level Contributor
301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego to Burbank Airport - Amtrak?

Fact is that the latest major delay this week was 30 minutes. Otherwise around a few minutes.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego to Burbank Airport - Amtrak?

FYI, most of the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner route is Double Track (one in each direction), so if there is a problem with one track, they can run both directions on the other track for a short distance. This would create a short delay, and maybe what caused the 30 minute delay this week.

Also, much of the Amtrak tracks avoid most roadways, as the cities want to avoid backups, and have installed bridges or tunnels to prevent the need for crossing gates. (Of course, except near my house...).

I still would vote for the day of, instead of the night before.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego to Burbank Airport - Amtrak?

It depends on your travel style. If you are a nervous traveler, seeking certainty, like some of my family members, go the night before. If you're a more relaxed traveler, assuming that things usually work out, go the day of.

I don't know where you're staying, but in general I'd rather spend a car-free evening in San Diego than Burbank, even with the limitations of San Diego evening transit service. Burbank is not a big visitor destination within LA, nor does it have particularly good transit to other parts of LA.

Level Contributor
301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego to Burbank Airport - Amtrak?

Thank you again.

The AMTRAK would cost $ 46,- and the lowest cost hotel in Burbank $ 60 (Ramada Inn). Are there other ways of transport (I saw Greyhound to Los Angeles for $ 18,- in 2 hrs)? Easy to get from the Greyhound station to Burbank?

I'm taking the option of going to Burbank the night before: cost of losing the ticket is too high.

9. Re: San Diego to Burbank Airport - Amtrak?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 13:17