We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best with a three year old

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
462 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Best with a three year old

We are going to be in San Diego for 5 days, well 31/2 days that we can actually do things. Originally I wanted to visit The Zoo, LegoLand and Sea World. I ended up booking Morgan Run (I couldn't pass up the deal) so we are on the outskirts. I know Del Mar beach is close so well likely spend a bit of time there and that Legoland is around 15 minutes away.

What are your guys opinions. What should be our top sights. I also thought the Safari would be fun, but have read that he's likely still too young to fully enjoy that. With the big sale on SeaWorld tickets tomorrow, I want to make sure that I'm not going to miss out.

We will be there at the end of October, currently I'm thinking, beach, zoo and maybe legoland. Thoughts.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,851 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best with a three year old

Morgan Run would not be the best for a 3 year old.

Canada
Level Contributor
462 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best with a three year old

Why do you say that? It looks like there is a pool area there with toys specifically for kids, the rooms are not glam, but they look large and there is lots of grass to run around on. After I gave up on all the "pretty" downtown hotels I didn't think this one looked too bad at all. Especially with a $49/night price tag. I did book it with free cancelation, so if need be I can cancel, but I really like the price.

So - enough on Morgan Run - what do you think the best activities are for a 3 year old?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best with a three year old

I would look at LEGOLAND first for Theme/Wildlife parks, great for little ones.

Then SeaWorld, they have a great Sesame Street themed play area, a 3-D movie featuring Elmo, and then the interaction with the animals are fun.

The San Diego Zoo has a nice Children's Zoo area, but a couple of drawbacks, firs is access to the zoo different areas, while they have a "tour" bus route, and then a drop-off bus that takes you to different areas, there is still a lot of walking, and much of it is hilly.

And I agree with the others who state that the SDZ Safai Park is not the best for a 3 year old.

Head to the beach, maybe a local park with playground equipment.

Hope that helps.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,430 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best with a three year old

When our boys were that young we used to do Legoland and the zoo and spend lots of time on the beaches around SD.

The zoo is fun and if your kid needs help get an umbrella stroller That would be the least of my reason to not go to one of the best zoos in the US

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best with a three year old

As long as you know you'll be on the Freeway a lot. In October the days will be short so if you are planning on going to those theme parks with the commute and the time you spend at the park you'll have limited time for Del Mar. But, Del Mar has restaurants you can enjoy for dinner. Perhaps you already know this. They charge a $15 per day resort fee but that's still pretty cheap.

Here are some reviews

yelp.com/biz/morgan-run-resort-and-club-ranc…

Based on these reviews it sounds like if you get a renovated room people are happier.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

hotels.com/ho105681/…reviews

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,851 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best with a three year old

Morgan Run is a very adult atmosphere, mostly older adults, you see very few children, let alone toddlers. There is a reason it is very cheap. They have a very hard time getting guests to stay there because it is a very inconvenient location for sightseeing, dining and shopping. For someone looking to golf, play tennis and hang by a pool all day, it is okay.

As to where to go with a 3 year old, Legoland and the Zoo are probably the best. He is most likely not tall enough for any of the rides at SeaWorld, but he could go to the shows.

While Del Mar might be the closest beach, it also has very limited parking. The nearest beach with good parking might be the La Jolla Shores.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,191 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best with a three year old

I agree that Legoland will be best for a theme park visit.

After that I'd just pick some activities that the adults like.

Go visit a ship at our downtown bayfront,walk in Balboa Park etc.

Your child will be happy playing in the sand at a beach and running around.

The zoo with its Children's zoo section and animals close by would be a good choice too since it is located inside Balboa Park. There is also a carousel and a small train ride just outside the zoo. Depending on which day you choose to visit the park also has puppet shows he might enjoy as well.

www.balboapark.org

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best with a three year old

There are kiddie rides at SeaWorld, and the children can also ride the Sky Cabin and Skyride (with adults). They would have to pass on Shipwreck Rapids, Journey to Atlantis, and the new Manta Coaster opening May 25th. Wild Artic has two different ways to enter, one is a motion simulator, which the child more than likely would be too short, but they also have a non-motion version, which anyone can use, and see the "movie" before entering the interactive Animal area.

Here is a link to the info on the "Bay to Play" area, and the three Children rides.

seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-sandiego/Attra…

And of course, plenty of shows and interactive exhibits/aquariums.

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best with a three year old

Legoland and the Zoo, wait until he is older for SeaWorld and agree Morgan's Run is not a great location for sightseeing. Good golfing though.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
561 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best with a three year old

One caveat with Legoland: They have height requirements for many rides (36 inches for some, 48 for others, IIRC). So depending on how tall your three-year-old is, he/she may not be able to do some of them.

When we were in SD last summer, our 5-year-old loved playing on Carlsbad State Beach and on Coronado Island. The ferry ride over to Coronado is fun for little ones.