We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather - what to pack??

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
565 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Weather - what to pack??

I've been looking at accuweather but it changes constantly! It seems I need to be prepared for rain and sunshine, maybe fog... arghhh!!

Is it cooler in the mornings and evenings? Just a light sweater or maybe something warmer?

I'll arrive this Saturday.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,794 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather - what to pack??

It is supposed to get warm again this Saturday. Right now it is chilly and raining! It is always a bit cooler in the early morning and then after sunset.

I don't think you need anything heavier than a sweatshirt or light sweater.

I don't remember how far north you'll be going on this trip but you will find different weather as you travel inland from the ocean so just bring a little of everything but NOT heavy winter clothing!!!

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
565 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather - what to pack??

Thanks Riff M! No, not heavy winter clothing! We're going to Anaheim, which according to what I've read, it's warmer. I'll bring sweatshirts for the kids and ligth sweater for the adults... our suitcases will be mostly empty since I plan to do some shopping. But I'm not planning in buying umbrellas or raincoats :-) so I do hope so that this weekend and the next (when we return from Anaheim) will be great! If not, well, we'll manage.

I've been a little bit nervous since our nearby volcano is showing a lot of activity, today a big column of water and gas was visible from my house!! Fortunately, few ash... I just need to be aboard of the plane!!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,794 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather - what to pack??

Yes, We have seen pix on tv of your volcano!! Hope you get out soon and safely!!

Don't worry about buying raincoats!! I don't own one! Every grocery store and pharmacy here will have small travel umbrellas for about $5 that you could buy in an emergency but I really don't think it will be necessary!

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
565 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather - what to pack??

Thanks, I want to finish packing today, and since I'm bringing few things, I just want to make sure they're the right ones...,so excited!!

The volcano has been quiet (relatively) this week, but today the column was way bigger... cientifics say that its behavior is normal, but who knows? Hope that it keeps quiet!

cumbria
Level Contributor
79 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather - what to pack??

I was about to post the same question. I arrive on 8th May from UK and wasn't sure what to bring and what the weather would be like.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather - what to pack??

Can you actually see Mt. Popo from D.F.? Of the many times I've been in Mexico City, I have only seen the volcano twice, each time during Semana Santa when everyone left town and there was no air pollution.

Even though our San Diego weather has been a bit odd and variable--rain, sun, party cloudy--the temperatures have been quite mild. Just wear the clothes on your back and enjoy your shopping here. Make sure you post a trip report!

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather - what to pack??

freddo, we always talk about layering our clothes here. Coming from the UK, you will probably need no more than jeans and a teeshirt with a light sweater for when it gets cooler. Temperatures in May will likely be around mid to high 60s (around 18 degrees Celcius).

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
565 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather - what to pack??

Elle, I am fortunate enough to see both our beautiful volcanoes (Popocatepetl and Iztaccihuatl) just in front of my house! They're like 60-80 miles away from the city, and when I ride my daughter to school, it's sunup so I can see their black siluettes against the orangy sky. Beautiful.

Of course, not every day it's possible, mainly in Winter when the strong winds take away the pollution. sometimes in Summer. Nowadays it's possible since we're having a crazy April. very warm in the day and cold and windy in the evenings. And thank God is stable right now!

And yes, I'll write something when I come back, not much of a writer but I'll do my best :-)

9. Re: Weather - what to pack??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:42