We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice San Diego and cheap treatment in Tijuana??

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Nice San Diego and cheap treatment in Tijuana??

I saw teeth treatment promo in Tijuana with a very cheap price. They guarantee that their price very less than US clinics and using same medicine. Anyone who had done same way that I will do? how about Tijuana situation now? They said that Tijuana near San Diego.

I've got a plan to visit San Diego for my kids holiday so could I know nice places in San Diego before I do my treatment in Tijuana.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice San Diego and cheap treatment in Tijuana??

Hi PepedSand,

Welcome to the forums. I have friends and relatives who have been going to Tijuana for years for dental work. I do not know which dentist they use there.

It is certainly less expensive than here in the USA.

I would post your question on the Baja North forum here on Trip Advisor.

IF you want to get ideas for hotels here in San Diego you'll have to tell us :

WHEN you are traveling?

How many people?

How much money you have for your hotel budget?

Will you have a car?

Here is a link to the Tijuana forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150776-i761-Tijua…

Edited: 30 April 2012, 14:37
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice San Diego and cheap treatment in Tijuana??

Dental tourism has increased greatly over the years. Finding dentists over the border now is commonplace. There are many things to be cautious of when going to TJ for treatment.

One, if you have insurance check to see if you are covered for international treatment.

Two, if something breaks or fails after arriving back in NY ecpect to pay even more to fix it than what the original cost would have been.

Three, try to find a dentist that was US trained.

Four, depending on what you need, you may be there for multiple visits. Be prepared.

I'm not here to knock TIjuana dentists. I've seen dentistry done In the States which is horrendous and I've seen TJ work which isn't bad. In the flip side, I've seen patients where I had to redo all kinds of shoddy stuff.

If you have other concerns, feel free to Message me. This forum is usually not a great place to discuss personal health issues.

Good luck

Dr. Z

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,914 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice San Diego and cheap treatment in Tijuana??

My friend goes to a dentist in Rosarito Beach, which is further south than Tijuana, and she says he's really good, and less expensive than dentists in the U.S. If you're interested and willing to go that far, I will find out the name of him. I'm sure there are good ones in Tijuana as well, I just don't know who or where.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice San Diego and cheap treatment in Tijuana??

Thank you Riff, Dr. Z and bw92116 for your response and a link to Tijuana forum. I tried to get some informations but I don't understand what they are talking about. That's way I go here to the city I will visit.

Plan go with my wife and two kids next month or may be early in june and have look around cheap flight. I don't have a car and plan to get a less expensive hotel in San Diego because I must prepare some money for my teeth treatment.

Dr. Z Yes, we did. My wife and I decide to go Tijuana for my treatment because they offer 50% less than here.I know this forum is not a right place to discuss my teeth problem but I want to get a safe trip in San Diego and/or Tijuana where I will do treatment as we know that Tijuana is not a safe place to visit.

bw92116,yes that's reason. I read their ad's name Smile Tijuana, some people recommend their dentist but still don't know which part Tijuana they are. I think that I must indulge my self in San Diego first before going to a place would mess up my mouth lols

Do you guys live in San Diego area?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,914 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice San Diego and cheap treatment in Tijuana??

Don't know anything about that dentist. Maybe look on a dental-oriented forum for recommendations. I would only go to one that you feel confident after reading or hearing good recommendations from more than one independent source. I don't know why it's so much cheaper in Tijuana, but I suspect part of the reason is that many people there don't have insurance and must pay in cash, so dentists charge only what they can get. Just guessing. I have heard that it is significantly cheaper in Tijuana for the same work that is done in San Diego, but I've never gone to Tijuana for dental work. Find out as much as you can about the dentist you will be going to.

Edited: 30 April 2012, 16:01
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice San Diego and cheap treatment in Tijuana??

No, that's not the reason why it's cheaper in Mexico.

For one main reason, the overhead here in the US, especially California, is incredibly high. Overall labor, materials, and facilities costs are considerably cheaper than what I pay so those costs are easily translated to savings for the many tourists like yourself that come for treatment.

Dr. Z

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice San Diego and cheap treatment in Tijuana??

One inexpensive hotel that is good for a whole family is the Old Town Inn.

It is across the street from our Old Town transit terminal where you will find buses and our lightrail electric train that we call "the trolley".

You can take the Blue line trolley to the last stop and then walk across the border into Tijuana, Mexico. From there you will have to ask the dentist if you can walk or take a taxi if it is too far.

You will need a passport to cross the border and then get back into the USA.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice San Diego and cheap treatment in Tijuana??

Without trying to get personal, what kind of "treatment" are you speaking of? A cleaning? Whitening?

Anything more complicated than that and I would carefully look at the credentials of the provider. Even using a dentist in San Diego could cause problems if you have issues later and have returned to NYC.

Penny-wise is pound foolish when things go wrong. I realize the advertised price can't be beat, but often when things are too good to be true, they aren't.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice San Diego and cheap treatment in Tijuana??

Many of my former coworkers go to Tijuana for dental work for themselves and for their children. Since my former employer does not offer dental insurance, it saves them thousands of dollars. They seem to be pretty satisfied with the work (fillings, crowns, implants), and I have seen great results with their kids (orthodontistry). The previous posters have a point, though, about having to return all the way from NYC for problems at a later time.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice San Diego and cheap treatment in Tijuana??

It's one thing for someone living close by (like San Diego or Southern Calif) to go to Tijuana for dental work. I'd say it could be quite another for somewhere as far away as NYC to do it. As said, we don't know what 'treatment' you are talking about having done, but if it's anything complicated, what if you have a problem after you get home?