We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help pick best seafood restaurant

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
131 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Please help pick best seafood restaurant

Trulucks

or

Island Prime

or

Top of the Market

Reviews are all over the place... will be staying in Coronado, but driving isn't a big deal, if the restaurant is worth it. Want the best food and experience.

Thank you.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help pick best seafood restaurant

Frankly I would go with George's at the Cove in La Jolla.

Island Prime does have a great view though and the food is very good. Same with Top of the Market.

Mentioned in this post
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help pick best seafood restaurant

I was at Top of the Market on Sunday for lunch and the food was excellent. Everyone ordered seafood and was happy. If you're staying on Coronado I would take the Ferry. That way you won't have to worry about parking. It can get pretty busy in the lot on the weekends. A nice view of Coronado North Island and all the water activity. (Make sure you don't go to the downstairs restaurant. Very, very noisy.)

Island Prime is very good too and also has a great view.

Mentioned in this post
Coronado
Coronado
California
la jolla, ca
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help pick best seafood restaurant

The Fishery in Pacific Beach on Cass Street is excellent!

Mentioned in this post
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,028 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,739 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help pick best seafood restaurant

Are you looking for best tasting or something a bit more upscale?

On pure freshness, I'd consider El Pescador in La Jolla, but it is veeeeeeerry casual.

Other than that Oceanaire, Roy's (Marriott), Donovan's Prime Seafood & Top of the Market are my favorites. Which I choose depends on the mood and setting I want.

Mentioned in this post
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help pick best seafood restaurant

We are going to SD for the first time soon and are planning on trying the seafood at Blue Water on India St. based on what we saw on Diners, Drive ins and Dives. Though that show usually focuses on casual, this place looked pretty nice.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help pick best seafood restaurant

We are headed to SD soon and are planning on trying the seafood at Blue Water on India Street based on a show from Diners, Drive-In's and Dives. Looked like a nice place, a bit more upscale than usual.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help pick best seafood restaurant

Blue Water Seafood is VERY casual. You order at a counter and go sit down. They serve their food on plastic plates so it's not more upscale than a diner. Most diners don't use plastic. Their food is good but I wouldn't go too out of your way for it. And be sure you have plenty of quarters in case you have to park at a meter.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,739 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help pick best seafood restaurant

Blue Water is cute and fun, as is Point Loma Seafood, but I am not sure either is the "best" in any category, not best seafood, not best casual seafood..... maybe "best counter serve seafood that isn't Mexican or Chinese" , but I'd be hard pressed to choose between Blue Water and Point Loma Seafood as to which one is "best".

Mentioned in this post
Point Loma
Point Loma
1,702 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28,275 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help pick best seafood restaurant

<<Looked like a nice place, a bit more upscale than usual>>

I take it upscale means different things to you than most people??

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help pick best seafood restaurant

Thanks for that tip! I am in town for a conference so staying at the Coronado Bay resort. Completely new to SD. Restaurant recommendations are so helpful. We have a rental car but it sounds like parking can be a bear. Any suggestions on getting around from where we are staying? Public transport, etc.?

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Coronado
Coronado
California