We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need cool/exciting activities for a surprise 40th bday gift

philadelphia
Level Contributor
752 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Need cool/exciting activities for a surprise 40th bday gift

Hi, all. My best friend is having difficulty trying to plan some kind of cool activity for her boyfriend's 40th birthday in June. They'll be going to San Diego mid-June, staying in the Gas Lamp District at the OMNI hotel and she'd like to do some sort of surprise adventure-type activity or cool event as a birthday gift to him. I told her I'd help her look for ideas online, as I'm a frequent TA user, but I'm having trouble finding anything good. He's not a huge sports fan; and it seems he's already done the wine tour-type excursion out there. Any suggestions at all? I did see that one TA user mention somewhere on the postings about paragliding at Torrey Pines gliderport in La Jolla. Anyone know about this? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Another Side Of San Diego Tours
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Five Star Tours - Day Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Adventures in San Diego
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours
GoCar Tours San Diego
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,830 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need cool/exciting activities for a surprise 40th bday gift

Not sure what you'd like to know about the gliderport?

Here's the web site:

www.flytorrey.com

I have watched as whole families have taken turns going up tandem with an instructor sooo many people do it.

In addition to wine tours, San Diego also has beer tasting tours if that is of interest.

If he has any interest in ships there might be a special event at the USS Midway or at the Maritime Museum.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need cool/exciting activities for a surprise 40th bday gift

How about a balloon ride?

A concert at 4th & B, Anthology, Humphrey's, etc?

San Diego County Fair? They usually have some (fairly) big name concert artists.

The tandem paragliding that RiffM mentioned is great fun, but it is wind currents dependent, and sometimes the wait is longer than the actual flight.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,067 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need cool/exciting activities for a surprise 40th bday gift

How about a helicopter ride over the city.

www.corporatehelicopters.com

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need cool/exciting activities for a surprise 40th bday gift

Of course there are the regular harbor / brunch / dinner cruises. I've not done one but there are catamaran cruises.

http://www.sailfuncat.com/

When in June? If the end of June the Summer Pops is performing outside on the Bay and there's a Beatles tribute and Star Spangled Trib.

5. Re: Need cool/exciting activities for a surprise 40th bday gift

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 07:16