We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Manta

Does anyone know if Manta goes upside down?

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manta

At first I scratched my head at your question. Then I realized you were talking about the new rollercoaster at SeaWorld San Diego.

Here is some information about it:

www.seaworld.com/SitePage.aspx?PageID=1023

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manta

Here is a youtube video of it. This is only a computer simulation, not the real thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5U-277V49Q

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manta

Just rode it many times this morning, it does NOT go upside down.

It is classified as a "Family" coaster, the maximum height is just 30 feet, but there is one part where there is a 54 foot drop.(goes below ground level). Folks who ride need to be at least 48 inches in height.

Basically you go from the "load" station, after walking through a great Aquarium area, and then enter a "show" building, where you watch a short video that makes you feel like you are in a Manta Ray setting, then a launch and a nice smooth ride, then a second launch which has some very nice coaster features, such as a snap turn and some nice, but not intense features.

I have photos and video being uploaded, but as of this post, not finished yet...

http://tinyurl.com/7p3k2sy

Officially opens on Saturday, May 26th. If you are a Season Pass (Fun Card) or Annual Pass, you might not get to ride during the preview period, as there is a LOT of stuff to finish, and as they stated, "Subject to availability", we had issues this morning, and as the advance prviews flyers and e-mail stated. But trust me, SeaWorld wants to make sure as many folks can ride the attracion in the next two days....

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manta

Heere is the San Diego U-T article from this morning describing the new attraction.

utsandiego.com/news/…

If you in the San Diego area, the printed paper has a great graphic showing the track's layout.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manta

I was thinking of going down tomorrow (Silver Pass) but I am not so sure if we might not be able to ride. I may wait until later in the weekend. I was at Cedar Point opening day this month and so many rides didn't open on time or shut down repeatedly during the day it was a bit of a pain with all the walking back and forth trying to ride things, I don't want to have to keep checking at SW.

Thanks for the info and links.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 16:39
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manta

I think it will be OK, I need to stop buy the park in an hour or so to take care of a few issues, and then head to a another park in the area. (Alas, due to some commitments and issues, couldn't do the LEGOLAND Pirate's Cove opening this morning).

I will post when I get back this evening to tell you the status. of what is up.

And if you don't make it to the Pass Previews, your Silver Pass will get you into Early Entry that is offered much of the summer.

But if you make it tomrrow, there is the special Friday night entertainment for AP/SP's, including Shamu Rocks.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manta

OK, as around Noon today, the ride is operating, but with some hiccups (aka Short Breaks), no big deal, these are expected during the previews.

The actual queue is still having problems, so they are doing some re-direction.... But the line around Noon was about 30 minutes....

I am uoloading some photos from today currently, it has been a bit crazy, and I need to thank John and Dave, two of many senior staff that have done amazing things in the last few days. I have done a LOT of these special events, but John, Dave, plus folks like Kelly, Marilyn, Jill and MANY others made the last few days easier than any other event I have done.

Will see you guys (SWSD Staff) tommorrow evening, after spending time with my parents.

You guys rock, and thank you for all the nice comments, for those who knew who I was, or shocked after John and I say hello... (John is the Park President, so when he came up to me, well, some attituides got adjiusted ;)

8. Re: Manta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:40