We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from brooklyn to san diego

brooklyn
3 posts
Save Topic
from brooklyn to san diego

Hello everyone!

I spent the past 3 days researching San Diego, Denver, co and Austin, Tx. Reading everyone's posts, I have gained more insight and everyone is very helpful. Can someone help me with our situation?

We are currently in Brooklyn, NY, and husband works in Manhattan. I love how there is so much history here, and so many things to do. But unfortunately, it's just been our experience, that it is not safe as we need it to be here. We have a 2 year old, and while we love the mass transportation...with that comes all the WEIRDOS and seriously CRAZY people wandering the subways and in every area, whether it's a good area, or bad area. The last straw was the quote "you're not really from NYC, unless you've been mugged once." Well, my husband was mugged and beaten, and we've realized this is not how we want to live. I've also encountered a very disturbing experience on the subway, and we both know half of these crimes are not even reported. Too put it bluntly, I just don't safe here, especially with my 2 year old.

So, now it's San Diego, Denver, or Austin. I'm leaning towards San Diego. I've lived in LA for a little bit, and I'm originally from Seattle. I outgrew Seattle, and thought it was too small. Love NYC, but it's not the place to raise our child. San Diego seems like the largest choice of my 3 final pics. Our max for a home is 900,000 - 1.2 mil. I'd rather stay near 900,000, but if we need to, we can go higher. That said, I went online and entered the values, and nothing came up in our price range of 900,000 for La Jolla. I was surprised. I thought I entered the numbers wrong, and Tahdah...I didn't! Are the prices really that bad? :) If we can't live there, can someone recommend a very safe neighborhood, not too much commuting, great schools for our son, and in our price range of 900,000-1.2 mil? I really wanted brand new construction, but am starting to see, we may not be able to get that. We do not have jobs in SD yet, so I guess central to the areas where most people work? I will be looking for an entry level position in a company, once I return back to the workforce from Mommyville. Thanks everyone in advance! :)

Aall In Limo & Party Bus
Bus Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Beer Tastings & Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Private Tours
A Plus Limos
Taxis & Shuttles
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,869 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from brooklyn to san diego

First of all welcome fellow Bklynite. We moved here 17 years ago and haven't regrettedit(most of the time). I believe you will NOT have trouble finding a house. You might not find brand new construction close in the city though.When we moved we also didn't have jobs so I picked where we lived based on where I wanted my son to go to school and ease of commuting into downtown.It is my advice to rent a house first. That way you will not be under pressure to find the perfect neighborhood immediately.You have time to decide since your child is only 2. The public schools in California all have to conform to certain programs and practices set down by the state so individual school districts have less ability to innovate. The differences in schools has to do with the pupil populationthat they receive. If price is not a consideration what type of community,neighborhood etc. do you need to feel comfy?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,869 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from brooklyn to san diego

Sorry I forgot to say that if you would like to discuss this more in depth you may e-mail me.

lauransteven@yahoo.com

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from brooklyn to san diego

I would think you'll be quite happy here, and I can appreciate your wanting to move to a newly built home, but I have to tell you - in my opinion the older neighborhoods have a lot to offer as well. It really depends on your commute, as we have marginal public transportation, and the commutes can be horrible. If you look at the coastal areas such as Carlsbad, Encinitas (including Cardiff), Solana Beach or Del Mar (or Carmel Valley a bit east of Del Mar) - all beautiful areas, mostly newer communities (Encinitas is particularly family oriented) you can take the Coaster (train) if you work downtown.

If you want to live in a more established neighborhood, and realize that the older homes are much better built than most of our newer homes, then there are neighborhoods that are closer to downtown, and offer beautiful, more interesting (in my opinion) neighborhoods. One area in particular, Mission Hills 92103 -is only a couple miles from downtown and has some of the most beautiful views and homes, as well as one of the best grade schools in the county - Francis Parker.

There are several areas where people work, including downtown, Sorrento Valley (high-tech) UTC (east of La Jolla) and various other areas throughout the county. I personally work in La Jolla, and though many would think that is great (and being by the beach is) there is absolutely no option for public transportation at all, and the traffic in the summer with the beach visitors is terrible. Some days it can take me 2 hours to go the 10 miles home in the summer, and that's not enjoyable.

As previously mentioned, it is very important that you be convenient to your job, and also rent before you buy. There are many really nice areas, and you really need to get a feel for which area fits you best before buying a home. Good luck, and please post back with more questions.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: from brooklyn to san diego

Those prices are for real. 1.2 million will probably buy you a small fixer upper cottage in La Jolla if that. Can be difficult to get in and out of there with traffic, and parking is tough too. There are many other nice and safe areas to raise children in your price range.

You can find new construction in that price range around the county. However be prepared; the trend is to put the biggest house possible on the smallest lot so the homes are very close together, have small yards, and very similiar. New construction brings new schools.

These are just generalizations.

Where you end up working will probably be a deciding factor. Rush hour traffic can be grueling.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
163 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from brooklyn to san diego

If school districts are a major factor in your decision where to live, I would suggest that you look in the Poway and San Dieguito school districts. These are both in the northern part of the county, Poway is more inland and San Dieguito encompasses the Del Mar area. Excellent schools in general and very safe, suburban areas. Traffic can be grueling, but it all depends on where you are heading. If you can find jobs in the Sorrento Valley area, you might want to consider looking for homes in Carmel Valley- it's basically the area along the 56 freeway corridor, and there are lots of new developments being put up there. There's also 4S Ranch in Rancho Bernardo, but the 15 fwy can be horrible during rush hour.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from brooklyn to san diego

I used to live in San Diego..I know live near Austin,where I have property and a custom built Home..Try that in San Diego..The climate here is great,but no ocean,which is no big deal because the Pacific is too cold anyway..Your choice..Postage stamp lot with HOA'S,or freedom to express yourself?

brooklyn
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: from brooklyn to san diego

Hello all!

Thanks so much for your responses! It really helped, and thanks riffsmom (I'll be emailing you later!). I wish we could rent for a little while in San Diego. Perhaps. But because our rent is on a year contract, we'll be paying for our Brooklyn apt, and also paying for a temporary apt in Austin, while we go travel to San Diego. Paying for 2 rents is do-able, but three? I hope it doesn't come to that!

That said, I am researching the areas you all mentioned. A little more detail. I don't want a starter home. I would love a 3-4 bedroom with 3 bathroom home. If the homes are close together, after living in Brooklyn where there is NO space, that's fine. A little backyard would be appreciated though. :) I'm hoping I can get this kind of home in San Diego, but really I'm still speechless about the housing prices.

I love older homes, and the character of older homes, but ever since becoming a mom, I've been suffering Parental Anxiety about everything, especially the lead paint in our building. I don't want to have to worry about such things anymore! I'm also kind of an absolute anal clean freak (and motherhood made it 10 times worse) when it comes to things, so that is also why I prefer a new or newer home. Are there new/newer homes being built in those established areas? In New Jersey, they have scattered new construction, where they have torn down the older home and rebuilt on top of it.

I also want to live in a safe neighborhood where my son can run around, push him around in his Step 2 buggy on quiet streets, and while I do not like living far away from stores, civilization, if it means more safety, then that is fine. You guys may laugh, but after living in Brooklyn, where we can hear gun shots from our 11th floor apartment, and constantly hearing police/ambulance/helicopters waking us in the early mornings, and reading of people being robbed of their Ipods, and cell phones on the streets we walk in (Park Slope) area, and not being able to walk outside past 9 pm, I'm am very paranoid. But I know where we pick in San Diego, will be safer, because there the mass transit isn't as big as in nyc.

No offense intended to anyone, and I am in no way racist, but I do not want to live in a primarily hispanic neighborhood or areas. A new construction community is fine by me, if we can afford to live in one??

Also, I really do not like driving too much. So, I was hoping I could find an area that is ideally positioned, and little traffic? Can you guys tell me which highways have the most traffic/what times (at all times of the day) and to avoid? I read elsewhere that the North County is a good place to live, but that is split into North County Coastal, and North County Inland, and I was wondering how far North is too far? I'm sure it is a long drive from the North to Downtown San Diego?

I guess I am going to have to make some sacrifices...I'm starting to think I may have live very far to find this kind of home. Thanks guys, I'll also be contacting a real estate agent to gather more info. Your help is really appreciated!

brooklyn
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: from brooklyn to san diego

Oops, I meant tell if the highways were busy all day, not tell me if the how the highways were every single hour. :)

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: from brooklyn to san diego

Just a quick note on North County - I live in North San Diego, Carmel Valley, which touches the North county cities of Solana Beach and Del Mar. Nice area, new homes, small lots, good schools and terrible commute. I tend to take the Coaster (commuter train) when I visit clients downtown, and that is great and becoming more popular all the time (thank heavens) Traffic through the "merge" where Interstate 5 and 805 merge can be horrific, particularly in the summer, but every day, even weekends nowadays. There is no public transportation option in the inland north county areas, and the traffic on Interstate 15 is worse - nice areas, but the temperatures are hotter in the summer and cooler in the winter (still nicer than Brooklyn) I lived in an older area downtown, which is why I mentioned that option. I moved to Carmel Valley because I couldn't afford the older homes that I really wanted.

I find that North County is centered around driving - my neighbors ask if I want a ride when I walk to Starbucks on the weekend. Downtown - Mission Hills, University Heights, etc - tend to have more of a neighborhood feel - but I know there are neighborhoods in the newer areas, I just don't happen to live in one. I really think you need to visit and rent so you can explore all your options, there are so many wonderful areas. chissis@hotmail.com

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,869 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: from brooklyn to san diego

There are some city of San Diego neighborhoods where the houses were built in the 70s up to more recent years so they were built in a safer way than the houses from the earlier part of the century. Actually here in San diego "older home" does not necessarily meanpre-war like in NYC. They have a suburban feel but they are close in.For example University City is an area with 2 rec centers, a public swimming pool and tennis club(with lessons)apark with concerts in the summer and you can walk to the library,school, and some shops,malls depending on which street your house is on. Some of the homes have backyards on a canyon which give beautiful views.You can get a 3 bdrm. 2 1/2 bath home easily.that is only one exampole. Tierra Santa is another, Scripps Ranch is alittle further out(more traffic) but lots of young families I know have moved there.As a retired teacher I can tell you lots about schools.