We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Beach Vacation next summer -- Cal newbie

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Family Beach Vacation next summer -- Cal newbie

I wanted to take my family (wife and two girls; 20 & 23) to a California beach anytime from next May to August for a week next year. It looked like August would be better for beach weather, is that right??

Never really vacationed in California and thought it would be fun. We go to Florida and the Carribean a lot (St. John is our favorite). We like to rent houses or condos on the beach or very close, hang out on the beach, sleep late, eat local casual food (pizza, mexican, italian), go to watch baseball games, would love to check out the zoo, cook out on a grill and drink some beers, etc. Would be great to walk to restaurants and bars, but we'll have a car.

Budget for a great rental would be $2,000 - 3,000 all in for the week. Want quiet for sleeping in for mornings, with nice views, in safe neighborhood. Need at least 2 bedrooms and 2 baths.

Where should I start? What beach towns would you suggest to get what we're looking for?

Thanks very much!!

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Beach Vacation next summer -- Cal newbie

July and August are great months for beach weather, and because of that, everything will be expensive. I think the higher end of your budget is more realistic.

Since you have a car, I would suggest a vrbo rental in either La Jolla Shores or Coronado.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,110 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Beach Vacation next summer -- Cal newbie

HI,

Yes, August will be better for beach weather but even then be aware that the Pacific Ocean is colder than what you are used to in the Caribbean!

Highest water temps will be in the low 70s.

I would also say that given what I know about St. John, our beach neighborhoods will probably have houses/condos much closer together and more suburban feeling than tropical paradise!

You might take a little time and read this web site which gives a little description of the different beach areas.

http://www.a-zsandiegobeaches.com/

Indiana
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Beach Vacation next summer -- Cal newbie

Thanks, sounds like a good start.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Beach Vacation next summer -- Cal newbie

Lots of great VRBO places right next to the Pacific Ocean in the Mission Beach area.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
367 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Beach Vacation next summer -- Cal newbie

As Darkbeer said, Mission Beach/Pacific Beach is a great location and you can rent an apartment. Lot of shopping for your daughters, good restaurants too. I don't know if the dog on the skate board still there. It was very funny to look at.

6. Re: Family Beach Vacation next summer -- Cal newbie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 00:17