We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking outside of San Diego area

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking outside of San Diego area

My husband and I (no kids) are flying into San Diego for work, but we have 3-4 days on our own before our work convention starts in La Jolla. We have been to San Diego recently, and were looking for some ideas of where to go outside of San Diego for 3-4 days (we would fly into San Diego, stay in a hotel in another city for 3-4 days and then drive back to La Jolla for work). We love to hike and do outdoor things. Any ideas/suggestions would be great. Thank you!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking outside of San Diego area

Hi BigGame! When are you coming?

Summer has started and if you go inland it can be over 100 degree heat so not the best time of year for hiking. Anytime other than summer Palm Springs, Anza Borrego, Joshua Tree are usually mentioned for hiking outside of San Diego.

Have you already hiked Torrey Pines and Balboa Park, Cabrillo National Monument?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking outside of San Diego area

About 2 1/2 hrs drive is Big Bear & Lake Arrowhead. Good hiking there.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking outside of San Diego area

We are coming mid-September. We have hiked Torrey Pines, and will do that again while we are in La Jolla. We did Balboa Park and Cabrillo Natl Monument last time. Will it still be hot mid-Sept for hiking? Any thoughts between Big Bear versus Joshua Tree?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,046 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking outside of San Diego area

Joshua Tree is desert and Big Bear is mountains. Very different terrain and climate. September is still HOT here . Often is it our hottest month!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking outside of San Diego area

That time of year you're better hiking in Big Bear. Two completely different terrains.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,340 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking outside of San Diego area

What about Mt. Laguna? I went there for the first time recently and it is definitely a place I would love to go back to.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking outside of San Diego area

Thanks for the suggestions and help! Now I have some ideas on where to start planning.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking outside of San Diego area

Great hiking around Mt. Laguna. Also check out the Idyllwild area (about 1.5-2 hours north of San diego), there is great hiking around And up to mt. San Jacinto.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
693 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking outside of San Diego area

In Mid-September I would head to Mt. Laguna or Cuyamaca State Park. Both have excellent hiking and both are about a 90 minute drive from San Diego.

In Cuyamaca, right across from Paso Picacho campground is Stonewall Peak. The usual path is about 4.5 miles roundtrip and brings you to a granite rock where you get some great views of the surrounding area (you have to climb up some rocks and steps to get to the top). There's also a hike to the top of Cuyamaca Peak (7 miles RT, if I remember).

Mt. Laguna has a number of hikes, the longest of which is the Big Laguna trail which is about 10 miles. Mt. Laguna even has a lodge if you felt like staying in the area for a day or two.

10. Re: Hiking outside of San Diego area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2013, 05:46