We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around from the Sheraton Marina area

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
73 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around from the Sheraton Marina area

I am going to a conference with a friend. I will have a few days to myself to explore. I'm not a good driver! If I wanted to go to the gaslamp district or zoo area is that a congested drive? It says it is 3 miles from the hotel.

Is this a safe walk? I can easily walk 3 miles each way but would I want to from the hotel to that area?

Thanks for any ideas. I guess a taxi is always an option. Have read that is about $15. Thanks for any ideas or any suggestions within walking distance from the marina.

Sara

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,149 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around from the Sheraton Marina area

HI there,

The Sheraton Marina is located in an area that is not really convenient to get to anywhere else in the city unless you :

drive, take a taxi , or take the free shuttle from the hotel back across the street to the airport and catch a city bus.

It is quite an easy drive on streets to get into the gaslamp or to the zoo but if you are only here for a couple of days you might as well just take a taxi.

Harbor Island(not really an island) where the hotel is located has another hotel (Hilton) and a couple of restaurants and some boat marinas but not really anything else.

It is directly across from the airport and down the road from a bunch of car rental places. It is not dangerous but it is not a normal city neighborhood where you'd find folks out walking.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around from the Sheraton Marina area

I will add that the Port of San Diego is currently running a shuttle for $1 and it stops at the Sheraton, but only on Friday & Saturday.

portofsandiego.org/community-service/big-bay…

I agree with advice given by Riff. Also, I wouldn't want to walk between Gaslamp / Downtown to the Sheraton at night alone. There's some dark spots. It's fine during the day. A nice walk. I'll add that if you start walking and decide you don't want to walk the whole way it's fine to hail a cab on the street here. If they're available they'll stop for you.

Edited: 30 June 2012, 03:24
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,628 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around from the Sheraton Marina area

Google Maps is your friend :)

http://goo.gl/maps/qd1b

You can use it to figure out walking, driving or using public transportation. Play with the map above, it is pretty simple to use.

PM me if you need help with it.

Edited: 30 June 2012, 03:59
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around from the Sheraton Marina area

Actually I believe the Port shuttle runs daily - with shorter hours Mon Thurs

Hours of operation:

Sunday – Thursday: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Friday – Saturday: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
73 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around from the Sheraton Marina area

Thank you all very much! I may chose just to relax at the hotel for a few days and relax until the conference is out for the day...or walk around the marina.

Thanks again!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,628 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around from the Sheraton Marina area

>>>Thank you all very much! I may chose just to relax at the hotel for a few days and relax<<<

No need Sara to be trapped at the hotel. A short bus ride can get you to a trolley station that will take you to Old Town, Seaport Village, Fashion Valley Mall, Mission Valley Mall and many other locations or the bus can take you to the Gaslamp & Downtown, Balboa Park and the Zoo, the Coronado Ferry. It is really easy actually.

Do check out the map below and play with it a bit.

http://goo.gl/maps/rxt7

7. Re: Getting around from the Sheraton Marina area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:15