We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive From San Diego To San Francisco

NY
Level Contributor
422 posts
Save Topic
Drive From San Diego To San Francisco

Hi,

I am planning on driving from San Diego to San Francisco and I am interested in knowing the quickest route and about how long it will take me by car.

Not interested in driving up the PCH on the coast, just looking for the quickest most direct route.

I plan on leaving early in the morning.

About how many hours should I expect it to take me ?

Thanks,

GP

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive From San Diego To San Francisco

Get on I5 and keep going -- it is just that simple until you hit the Bay Area and you can then get to SF via I580

http://goo.gl/maps/buqu google maps has the route for you (adjust it to your start and end point ) and voila you will get an approx driving distance and time WITHOUT traffic or stops which you need to factor in.

You plan on leaving early morning and so do commuter in SD and in the greater LA area so you can drive with them in traffic. Carpool lanes may help you in some parts if there is more than one in the car.

Edited: 12 July 2012, 21:09
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive From San Diego To San Francisco

You may want to look at Southwest or kayak to see what the airfare is. It may be cheaper than driving plus paying for a car rental plus one way drop off fees.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,595 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive From San Diego To San Francisco

Plan on at LEAST 8 1/2 hours WITHOUT stops. Friday morning commute traffic will likely add an hour or more to the drive.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,348 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive From San Diego To San Francisco

about exactly 500 miles, but going straight up 5 takes you through the worst part of LA traffic (OK, there really is no best part) which can be not bad sometimes. But going around can be as bad, and longer. If you luck out and the traffic gods are smiling, you can make it in under 8 hours. But that's why they invented airplanes, to avoid going through LA.

NY
Level Contributor
422 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive From San Diego To San Francisco

I was planning on leaving in the early morning to hopefully be in San Fran by early-late afternoon

What time would be a good time to get on the road in the morning in order to hit the least amount of traffic throughout the drive ?

Thanks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive From San Diego To San Francisco

4:00 A.M. That would get you through L.A. before rush hour(s).

7. Re: Drive From San Diego To San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 05:46