We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

priceline and la jolla

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
807 posts
271 reviews
Save Topic
priceline and la jolla

I am going to a wedding in La Jolla and know nothing about the area. Hotels look quite expensive, so I was thinking of using priceline. What area would I want to stay in in San Diego that is close to La Jolla? Priceline gives 16 options, such as Coronado, and downtown San Diego. I was thinking of choosing downtown San Diego, but was wondering how far that is from La Jolla. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: priceline and la jolla

Do you know where in La Jolla the wedding is? If it is near the village it is about a 20 minute drive downtown. If it is in the surrounding UTC/Torrey Pines area then its only 15min.

There is an Embassay Suites in UTC and a Sheraton. These should be a little lower in price.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,254 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: priceline and la jolla

As La Jolla is a neighborhood of San Diego, almost any hotel within the city limits of San Diego is going to be no more than a 20-minute drive from La Jolla. So you can really pick anything. Where to stay would depend partly on what other things you want to see and do in San Diego besides seeing La Jolla.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: priceline and la jolla

As long as you have a car, as said, Downtown is fine if you find something in your price range. Just know, that every hotel will charge for parking your car per night. It can add an additional $25 - $30/day.

I think I've read that betterbidding.com can help you figure out what hotel it is. If I'm wrong someone please correct that and give the website that is of help with using priceline.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
807 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: priceline and la jolla

Thanks for the replies.....The wedding is at a place called the Scrips Forum. These are my options on areas to stay in San Diego.

1.Coronado

2.Del Mar

3.Downtown San Diego and Harbor Island

4.El Cajon

5.Escondido

6.Hillcrest/Balboa Park

7.Hotel Cirlcle/Mission Valley West

8.La Mesa

9.Miramar

10. Mission Valley East

11.National City

12.North County Coastal

13.Carlsbad

14.Point Loma/ Shelter Island

15.Rancho Bernardo

16.San Diego Coastal

17.Sorento Mesa

I don't really care about the quality of the hotel, but what is most important is proximity to the wedding, since I would prefer to not rent a car and just take cabs. I just decided to go to the wedding, and it is next weekend, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,254 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: priceline and la jolla

The Robert Paine Scripps Forum is at the Scripps Institute of Oceanography, which is at the north end of the La Jolla Shores neighborhood of La Jolla, itself a neighborhood of the city of San Diego.

Del Mar is not all that far from your wedding venue, as Del Mar is the next city on the coast north of San Diego, but it would be a significant cab ride. Miramar and Sorrento Mesa are both somewhat close to La Jolla Shores, but they are both inland and undesirable locations, and a long cab ride away. I would only choose Miramar or Sorrento Mesa if you are offered a truly irresistible price for those.

I'm not sure what they mean by "San Diego Coastal" in #16, as that is a pretty vague term, if they mean within the city limits of San Diego then it would be the west side of Point Loma, or Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach or La Jolla, any of which would be close to the ocean and not too far from La Jolla.

All the others on your list are further away, and I would cross off #4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15 and 17. I would choose between #1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 12, 14 or 16. If you can get a good price I would choose between #2 or #16.

The cost of a cab is still pretty significant unless your hotel is in La Jolla itself, and even there it's still not going to be cheap. I think the closest hotel to your wedding venue may be "Hotel La Jolla" at 7955 La Jolla Shores Drive, but even that would be pretty far to walk to the wedding, especially in formal wear. "Sheraton La Jolla" and "Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla" are also relatively close to your wedding venue, a fairly short cab ride away, but still not close enough to walk from. So you are going to have to take a cab no matter what, but if your hotel is in La Jolla it will be a shorter ride. It's too bad "La Jolla" is not one of the choices in your list above, but if you try other sites maybe that will be one of the choices.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: priceline and la jolla

You mmight want to look at Hotwire.com instead of Priceline. Since Hotwire lists the exact amenities of the location, it is easier to figure out the Hotel using a site like better bidding.

Plus, they have an area called "La Jolla".

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,391 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: priceline and la jolla

Stay at the Sheraton La Jolla on Holiday Court. It's across the street from UCSD ( the South side) and minutes from the wedding.

I've stayed there twice in the last 12 months or so and found it very reasonably priced, clean, quiet, nice pool area, within walking distance if a few restaurants (there's a really good Vietnamese Pho restaurant about 2 minutes away).

Have fun.

Dr. Z

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: priceline and la jolla

<<Stay at the Sheraton La Jolla on Holiday Court. It's across the street from UCSD ( the South side) and minutes from the wedding.>>

It is 5-10 minutes from the wedding by car or taxi from the Sheraton LJ depending on the traffic. Other hotels in the vicinity: La Jolla Shores Hotel, Hotel Estancia La Jolla. Still need a cab to get to the actual venue.

Edited: 21 July 2012, 20:44
9. Re: priceline and la jolla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2013, 10:16