We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ID in bars ?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
294 posts
Save Topic
ID in bars ?

Hello i will be staying in gaslamp area in a few months time im not quite sure what the law is about going into pubs/bars with or without ID, is it against the law or is it up to the pubs to ask, will i be asked for ID in the gaslamp area (im well over 21) dont really want to carry my passport around at night im from the UK we dont have the ID thing here (yet) thanks

Edited: 23 July 2012, 22:22
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ID in bars ?

You have to show ID to prove to the establishment that you are at least 21. If you do not have ID they will not serve you.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ID in bars ?

"...we dont have the ID thing here (yet)..."

What does that mean??? Surely you have some form of ID such as a Drivers license. The UK isn't that far removed from being a modern society, is it?

Bottom line....NO ID = No service.

Dr. Z

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ID in bars ?

A lof of places will have a policy of just asking everyone for an ID, no matter how old you look. Lot of folks use passports, see it all the time.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,237 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ID in bars ?

I know that in the UK you don't have to carry your driver's license with you in the car. HERE you MUST carry it any time you are driving so most folks here have their driver's licenses with them in their wallets.

You'll have to carry the license or the passport with you to go and buy alcohol/beer/wine ANYWHERE not just in a pub/bar. They will ask for ID in the supermarket and in restaurants too if you look young.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,469 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ID in bars ?

You could go to a costume store and pick up some really good makeup and a wig and a walking stick and then make sure you are dressed up, have the gait and the stance of an elderly gentleman and then you can go slowly to a bar. If the bouncer opens the door for you and walks you in and settles you down, then you are all set. If not humm.... you could try at a different bar.

or you could avoid all this hassle and carry your passport safely with you -- plenty of ways to do that when on the road --

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ID in bars ?

If you don't have a driver's license, I'd get another official government ID in the UK so you don't need your passport.

By state law, if you are drinking, you have to have an ID proving you are over 21, even if you are 90 and look it. Now that is in theory, but because of the law some places that are 21 and over only card everyone. In a restaurant or pub that is not 21 and over only, if you are 35 and look it, it is unlikely they'll card you.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
294 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ID in bars ?

Yes we do have ID but you dont have to carry with you at all times or need to show it in pubs unless you look about 16 you dont even have to carry a driving license when driving, but ive been in bars all over the US on my travels but only accasionally ive been ask for ID im not criticizing it i just wasnt sure how the law on ID worked it seems to differ from city to city

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ID in bars ?

>>>i just wasnt sure how the law on ID worked it seems to differ from city to city<<<

It usually varies state to state, not city to city. Before the federal government intervened every start set their own drinking age. A lot of states used to be 18+, now all are 21+.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,237 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ID in bars ?

I am over 60. 2 years ago on NYE I got carded!!!

Trust me I do NOT look like I am under 21!!

I think the bouncer was drunk himself but we all laughed and I showed him my driver's license!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ID in bars ?

My gosh I'd be flattered if I got carded. I can't even remember when the last time was. You should carry a photo ID or your passport just in case.