We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the public transport like?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bedford...
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What's the public transport like?

Hi everybody!

I'm planning my trip to San diego right now and heard that getting around by public transit is not the easiest thing to do in san diego...

I would like to go and see the balboa park, la jolla, downtown, sea world, the zoo/wild animal park, gaslamp quarter, old town, seaport village, pacific beach/garnet ave and the torrey pines NP.

Is it possible to get to all the places by public transportation? I cant really rent a car because I'm under 21 :/

I'd appreciate every single advice! thanks :)

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the public transport like?

Hi Isabell - Welcome to the SD Forum !

First, you need to make sure that you ask any place you look at to stay if they will allow someone under 21 to check in. You might have to stay in a hostel and there's a good one downtown.

Unfortunatelly, to get to all of the places on your list some will be very time consuming. Like Torrey Pines and La Jolla but it is possible. It will also depend on how much time you have here as to whether or not you can get to all of those places using public transportation.

In general for a hotel that will accept someone under 21 you want to stay in either Downtown, Little Italy & Old Town for the best options for public transportation to be around.

Downtown where the Hostels are

http://sandiegohostels.org/node/15

www.usahostels.com/sandiego/index.html…

A DE here Riff M has a friend who stayed at one of them and loved it. I'm sure she'll be along to tell you which one.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the public transport like?

FYI, San Diego has decent Public Transit. The most popular option is the San Diego Trolley, a light rail system that goes to many different parts of the city.

Then the MTS Bus system goes many places, usually from a Trolley Station.

here is the link to the Transit System website, which includes a trip planner.

www.sdcommute.com

Edited: 24 July 2012, 20:17
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the public transport like?

Oh, and the Zoo / Balboa Park are in Downtown SD and generally will be easy to get to if you stay in the areas that I mentioned. But, the Safari Park is 40 mins away from SD and you should take that off your list without a car. Also, depending on the time of the year you are planning your trip it can get extremely hot out there. And it will be easy enough to either walk or take a bus or trolley to Seaport Village, Gaslamp, Old Town, SeaWorld

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the public transport like?

Tour guide Tim does a great trip to La Jolla and Torrey Pines leaving from downtown Santa Fe station. We never hire a car and use the trolley and buses when staying in San Diego. Bus #7 to the zoo and Balboa park. Trolley to Old Town. Ferry around the bay or over to Coronada

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,730 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the public transport like?

There is a great hostel in downtown San Diego which you might enjoy.

To use public transit best you really need to be in downtown,Little Italy or Old town. There are some hotels in Mission Valley like the Handlery who offer some great free shuttles to attractions and a free shuttle to our lightrail trolley transit system too.

There ARE hotels who want you to be over 21 to stay in them so please check before you arrive.

The hostel also organizes local sightseeing trips:

http://sandiegohostels.org/node/15

Edited: 24 July 2012, 22:35
San Diego...
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the public transport like?

We had some folks ask us where they would have their kids who were travelling around California stay for cheap and they were just in College and we suggested the downtown San diego hostel and they found the place to be "fine"

.We took them around the area so they did not have to worry about transport but they said their hostel stay was 'fine". Now as we all know, with kids when they are asked how something is -- they all say "good' or "ok" or 'fine" so I think fine may mean an average between an "ok" and a "good"

Bedford...
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the public transport like?

so the zoo and the wild animal park are not the same?

thanks!

Bedford...
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the public transport like?

alright, so if i stay in downtown or old town i should be able to see everything on my list in 4 days?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the public transport like?

Yes, the San Diego Zoo is located near Downtown San Diego.

The San Diego Zoo Safari Park (formerly known as the Wild Animal Park) is located about a hour drive away in Inland Northern San Diego County.

Here is the official website, you can see on the main page, the "Zoo" link is on the left side, the SDZSP is on the right.

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/

About the best way to get to the SDZSP if you don't have a car, or can't find a private tour.

Take the train (COASTER or Amtrak) to the Oceanside Station. Then switch to the SPRINTER light rail to Escondido, and then opt for a taxi ride of about 10 miles to the SDZSP.

Alas, on the way home, you will need to take the Amtrak Train, as the last COASTER train leaves fairly early. Amtrak is more expensive than the COASTER commuter train.

Edited: 24 July 2012, 23:12
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the public transport like?

OK, SeaWorld is usually a full day park.

Depending on the amount of time you spend at the San Diego Zoo, you might get to hit highlights of Balboa Park. (Next to each other).

You could combine Old Town, Downtown SD, Seaport Village and the Gaslamp Quarter together, a day, maybe less.

The 4th day, use public transit to get to Pacific/Mission Beach, then head north to La Jolla, and transfer to the BREEZE Route 101 to get to the Torrey Pines Natural Reserve. I strongly recommend you time it to get to the Torrey Pines NP prior to Sunset, the views are amazing.

So that is a full 4 days.... And gets everything on your list, except the SDZSP.