We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Surfing

We are looking to come down for a week or two in mid August. My kids are dying to learn how to surf so we figured we would sign them up for a camp. Any recommendations? We haven't booked anything ( hotel etc yet) we are going last minute so any recommendations for places to stay or active things to do would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing

I usually recommend Surf Diva for kids. They have a good reputation and are in La Jolla.

We need to know more about what your budget is, and types of active things you like to do before we can recommend hotels. Will you have a car?

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing

Wow, you're fast,thanks! Yes, we will have a car and our kids are 11 and 13. ( is AmericanSurf Academy connected to Diva's for the camp? I was thinking a place near the beach. Cost of hotel up to $150 / night, would prefer cheaper if we could but cleanliness is the priority as well as a pool. We love any water activities; water skiing, kayaking, snorkeling. Love to hike and also enjoy some amusement parks. Thanks for your help!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing

I agree with Elle. Please tell us more.

What is your budget? Remember this is our high season so depending on your budget you might not be able to stay near the beach. Which means a drive of approx 15-20 min in a car and then finding parking assuming you'll have a car.

Are you looking for a suite hotel? If so, look at Homewood Suites Liberty Station, Residence Inn downtown (there are 2), Embassy Suites, Humphrey's Half Moon Inn, Old Town Inn, Courtyard, etc.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfing

For lots of water activity in addition to La Jolla

tourguidetim.com/mission-bay-park-beach-acti…

www.a-zsandiegobeaches.com/missionbay.htm

sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/…index.shtml

sandiego.org/what-to-do/beaches/coronado.aspx

a-zsandiegobeaches.com/coronadocitybeach.htm

http://www.coronadosurfing.com/

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfing

I don't know/don't think American Surfing Academy is connected to Surf Diva. They appear to use the beach at La Jolla Shores (along with some other surf schools).

When you choose a surf school, make sure you get what you pay for. Recently a friend's 9-year old daughter was taking private surf lessons from another surf school that I won't mention. The "private lessons" meant one instructor with 3 students, working with 1 student while the other 2 sat on the beach waiting. There was only one surf board... Ask lots of questions, and be aware that anyone can hang up a shingle and call themselves a surfing school.

elizzie has given you some great advice about hotels and areas for activities. Finding anything under $150 along the beach is impossible in mid-summer.You could get one of those hotels and drive to your water activities all over San Diego. La Jolla, for example, has opportunities for kayaking to see wildlife like sea lions and seals, swimming, snorkeling with (harmless) sharks, surfing, boogie boarding.

For hiking there is Torrey Pines State Reserve in La Jolla for easy hikes, as well as urban canyon hikes all over San Diego, a nice (short) trail hike at the Cabrillo National Monument, Cowles Mountain (highest peak in San Diego city limits), and more.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,541 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surfing

What about the Best Western Inn by the Sea? its in La Jolla and pretty close to both the Surf lesson place as well as the Ocean and should be around $150 a night in mid August.

Or, La Avenida Inn which is a well rated small Motel located on Coronado Island which is a nice small beach town about 15 min from downtown San Diego, and in close walking distance to the ocean. It would also be in that budget in August.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surfing

happytotrip is right about the Best Western Inn by the Sea! I had forgotten about that hotel. They are around $150 in August (hurry up before they book), and from the reviews it shows that although the rooms are a bit dated, they are very clean. BWI is in a great location in La Jolla, not far from La Jolla Shores (and surf lessons, etc.) and also within the "Village" with its many restaurants and cafes, boutiques, and great coastline.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Surfing

Thanks everyone I will Follow up On All of your suggestions! I really appreciate all of your time. Tracey

9. Re: Surfing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2013, 10:16