We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking trails alone in Balboa Park...safe?

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
73 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Walking trails alone in Balboa Park...safe?

I'll be alone and want to walk the trails. Is this area safe to walk alone? Are all the trails populated enough? Which is the best for a beginning walker?

Thank you!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking trails alone in Balboa Park...safe?

Some trails go through very populated areas and some are isolated, depending on time-of-day.A PDF below shows the trails. Alone, I'd avoid the west (left) side other than right along 6th Ave (not into the canyons).

Weekends there are many walkers and runners. I've often "loosely" attached myself to a group.

Anything in the central mesa of the Park or along Park Blvd would be fine - including the trail that runs through the Desert Garden and Rose Garden.

balboapark.org/sites/default/files/bptrails_…

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
73 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking trails alone in Balboa Park...safe?

Thank you. It looks like fun and so many beautiful buildings to see. I'll maybe plan the day there for the weekend when you said it is busier.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking trails alone in Balboa Park...safe?

That map is very helpful in that it shows how to cross freeways and major roadways, of which there are many in Balboa Park.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking trails alone in Balboa Park...safe?

I happen to think the Redwood Circle, on the west side of the park, is a nice walk, and you can step off the sidewalk and walk between redwood trees that were planted, I believe by pioneering San Diego landscaper Kate Sessions something like 100 years ago. Also on the west side, the long sidewalk from Pine Grove Picnic Area south to Marston Point is fairly nice, and there is a good view of downtown from Marston Point.

The Palm Canyon in the middle of the museums area in the center is pretty nice and there is a fine example of a gigantic Moreton Bay Fig tree there. I did see a snake on the path one time, but that was years ago and a random occurrence. There is also an enormous Moreton Bay Fig just north of the Natural History Museum.

Be sure to walk through the Botanical Building if it is open. There are many orchids and other rare tropical plants. If you are lucky and are there at a time when the misters in the ceiling are operating, it will seem like another world of a million years ago.

Zoro Gardens is a small sunken garden just to the west of the Reuben H. Fleet Space Theater. It is not marked on the map linked above. It was used as a nudist exhibit in the 1935 exhibition, now it is designated as a butterfly garden.

The rose garden and desert garden next to it are worth a stroll. There is a pedestrian bridge over Park Boulevard so you don't have to cross Park to get to them.

San Diego Zoo, within Balboa Park, is also a botanical garden, with many lush, beautiful environments to walk through, including the longtime Fern Canyon which many visitors miss.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking trails alone in Balboa Park...safe?

<<I'll maybe plan the day there for the weekend when you said it is busier.>>

I prefer the opposite. Walking on the trails (west side) on a weekday morning is very peaceful. You can smell the eucalyptus trees and watch the hummingbirds, hawks and butterflies without the noisy crowd.

I agree with bw92116 that Palm Canyon is a nice short trail. I also like the path behind the NW buildings that surround Pan American Plaza (Air & Space, Automobile, Hitchcock puppet theater, etc.). There is a desert garden that is different from the rose garden/desert garden that bw already mentioned.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
11 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking trails alone in Balboa Park...safe?

The trails can be in a populated areas though some of the longer ones are in the canyons. I have never had any issue and have always gone during mid-day daylight hours. There are plenty of other people walking, running or bike riding both weekdays and weekends. I have yet to see a homeless person and I suspect they only head down into the canyons at night. Take a copy of the map with you and have your cell phone handy, no problems with signals. If you are concerned let someone know the route number you plan to take so that if you don't come back after a certian ammount of time they know the general area to look for you.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking trails alone in Balboa Park...safe?

<<I have yet to see a homeless person and I suspect they only head down into the canyons at night.>>

There are definitely homeless people in the park and surrounding areas. On the west side (near 6th Ave), you will see plenty of them, although they pretty much keep to themselves.

But the park is very safe, and I walk through the canyons all the time.

8. Re: Walking trails alone in Balboa Park...safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 05:16