We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Meets West

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
95 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
East Meets West

My husband and I from GA will be meeting our 26 yr. old son in SD in late Sept. for 5 nights. We will have one night alone, 2 nights with the son, and then 2 nights alone. I'd like for us to see SD and other towns around the area. We will have a car, and our budget is $200/night for hotels. It's our first visit, so I'd like to see and do as much as possible. It's my son's birthday weekend, so I'd like something special to do one day, either in SD or elsewhere. I've read the posts of sites to see and do in SD, but am looking for other options outside the city also. I have no problem with spending the night in other towns other than SD. We like a little touring and history, but also other fun things also. To stay some of the time on the water would be nice as your coastline is much different than our's. Thanks for your help and expertise!!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,188 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Meets West

San Diego is a large spread out city and also its surrounding county which is the size of the state of Connecticut. Each of the city's neighborhoods has a name and some of them are beaches so you may be confusing city beach areas like Pacific Beach and La Jolla with being "different towns".

Where is your son located and what is it about "other towns in the area" that intrigues you?

When you are with your son does he plan to stay in the same hotel room with you? Does that mean you need a suite or is a room with 2 beds OK ?

What sort of things would your son enjoy? Are you looking for a nice restaurant(if so what sort of food?) or are you looking for a unique experience like hangliding or surfing lessons?

Please tell us a little more so we can offer intelligent suggestions.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
95 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Meets West

My son will be flying in from Az. He's never been to the west coast either, so I'm trying to get in as much variety as possible during a short stay. 2 queens in a room would work, as would as suite. I'm trying to save $$ where possible. We're from the Atlanta area, and I'm picturing SD to be similar in look and feel (big city, traffic, museums, etc) . "Other towns" or areas might offer a more laid back, different feel than a larger city. You're right-I was thinking La Jolla was a town, not beach, which is one place I'd like to visit. A unique experience that my son could only find in the area would be fun. He enjoys the outdoors, is athletic & competitive. I thought of surfing lessons, some type of fishing adventure, etc. He'd enjoy a nice seafood or steak restaurant. He will be with us almost 3 full days, so we could explore the surrounding areas of SD before dropping him at the airport. That would leave another full day & 2 nights for my husband and I to go somewhere different. I hope this helps with my itinerary ! Thanks again!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,188 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Meets West

San Diego is not like any of the eastern large cities!

Our downtown is very small and most of the neighborhoods would be like small suburbs in other cities. Traffic is very predictable and you can get from downtown to anywhere else easily by car within about 20min.

To get from downtown to Oceanside(the northernmost suburb in the county)would take only about 40min.

The downtown area is the only part that would remind you of home with taller buildings. It is very close to the airport(only about 2miles) and is where Balboa Park is located which has most of the museums etc.

www.balboapark.org The park is certainly worth a visit!! As is our downtown bayfront with ships to visit or harbor cruises or the passenger ferry across to Coronado which has a lovely beach/historic hotel/ and a small town feel.

La Jolla is about 20min. north of downtown but is a neighborhood of the city.

Take a look at the Torrey Pines gliderport which is close to La Jolla Cove.

www.flytorrey.com You can watch the hang gliders take off from the cliffs and soar out over the ocean. They offer tandem rides with an instructor.

There are many surf schools. You might look at hotels in our Pacific Beach neighborhood which might be affordable by the end of September.

Try the Ocean Park Inn, Best Western Blue Sea Lodge or maybe look at an apartment in Capri by the Sea which is a highrise condo at the ocean that rents out like a hotel.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,848 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Meets West

I would look at La Pensione in Little Italy. You'd need two rooms for when your son is with you, but they should still be in your budget and it is a great location in Little Italy.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Meets West

There are other beach towns between San Diego and Oceanside. Along highway 101 (coastal highway) you will find a number of small towns. Del Mar is small and upscale; Solana Beach,Cardiff/Encinitas/Leucadia are more laid-back and funky (the old California surf vibe), and Carlsbad is another small town with its own charms. Stick to the areas west of I-5 because east of I-5 could be Anywhere USA.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,188 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Meets West

I like La Pensione but in September the temps are still hot and a pool would be nice.

IF the hotels I suggested turn out to be too expensive for your dates let us know and we can suggest others.

There are many motels/hotels in the city and its surrounding county but the less expensive ones away from the ocean tend to be as ElleLa Jolla said,"anywhere USA" as opposed to having the San Diego flavor.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
95 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Meets West

Thanks for all of your ideas and suggestions. From those I'm thinking my husband and I will stay outside SD on our first night, and then in SD 2 nights once my son arrives. I like the suggestion of hang gliding as a birthday gift. Feel free to send any other ideas my way! I so appreciate all the help you're giving me.

8. Re: East Meets West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 08:17