We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best fish tacos

nh
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Topic
Best fish tacos

Ging to San Diego. Where to get fish tacos?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best fish tacos

We love Rubio's . They have the best fish tacos for cheap on Tuesdays. Great fish and it is hand dipped in batter (that is what I hear from the foremost Rubio's Expert in the world ) and then fried to perfection and served with lettuce and a secret sauce.

Edited: 07 August 2012, 22:34
San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best fish tacos

Rubios is fast food. While decent it is no where near the best fish tacos in San Diego. I would head to South Beach in Ocean Beach or Blue Water off of India.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best fish tacos

I had a Rubio's fish taco a month ago and it was tasteless. I don't know if it was just that location. I threw it away after a couple of bites.

It also depends on where you'll be in San Diego. San Diego is large and there are multiple places that have fish tacos in sit down restaurants.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best fish tacos

In another post you said you'll stay on Coronado for part of your trip. You can get fish tacos in the Village at

brigantine.com/brigantine_seafood/menu/coron…

And there's Coronado Brewing Co

coronadobrewingcompany.com/locations/…

At the Ferry Landing is Candela's. They have a more upscale fish taco that isn't deep fried. Also shrimp tacos. (I don't like their website)

http://www.candelas-coronado.com/index2.html

Fast food style there's a La Salsa next door to Hotel del Coronado. I haven't eaten one of theirs in awhile though

http://lasalsa.com/menu/tacos.php

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best fish tacos

Not lettuce, Cabbage, mild salsa and a white sauce...

rubios.com/menu/…

Nice that they use "sustainable seafood".

And IMHO, Fried is better than not.....

San Diego...
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best fish tacos

I see. Cabbage and not Lettuce. See we do have the foremost expert.

For a just over a buck on Tuesday, you get a great taco. so what if it is a chain ? It started right here and the food is fresh and as you heard the fish sustainable

I am not sure why someone would put down a restaurant because it is a chain. The reason it is a chain and has expanded is that it is popular.

To the person who did not like the tacos there, that is fair, everyone has different tastes and that is perfectly fine.

But I feel that you cannot get a better taco on Tuesday for a buck 25.

All those in favor say Aye. All others can suggest their own favorite taco shops to the OP.

Edited: 08 August 2012, 00:30
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,797 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best fish tacos

I dont like breaded fish tacos

I went to Mariscos Food Truck in South Park last week after meaning to stop by for a long time. Their fish tacos were excellent and NOT breaded.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,518 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best fish tacos

Another vote for South Beach Bar & Grille, on Newport in Ocean Beach. It's a bar, not a Mexican restaurant, but the fish tacos are contenders for best in the city. They do include shredded red cabbage and a velvety white sauce. The fish is always super-fresh. Grilled or fried choices. It's very crowded during the happy hour (3 to 6, M to F) when prices are lower, so I would just go there for lunch instead. Also, the tacos are lower in price all day long on Tuesdays.

As it is a bar, only those age 21 and over may enter. All kinds of beers you never heard of and some are on special at any given time. If you don't drink, they do have soft drinks and they refill them relentlessly - I must have drank a gallon of Dr. Pepper last time. Note that this place accepts cash ONLY, so be prepared - there is also an ATM right outside if needed. After eating/drinking there, you can take a stroll out on the very long Ocean Beach pier, which is just steps away from the bar.

Edited: 08 August 2012, 01:11
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best fish tacos

I don't think anyone knocked Rubio's because it was a chain. At least I didn't. I didn't like their fish taco. In fairness I'll try a different location but I'll make sure it's on a Tues so I don't end up throwing away my money again.

I was going to mention South Beach because I've had great ones there but I believe the OP has an under 21 with them. She mentioned that when she asked about wineries in Temecula.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,342 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best fish tacos

Assuming you are 21 and over, South Beach Bar & Grille has been the consensus choice among SD foodies for best fish taco, but Marisco's German Taco Truck (of which there are 3 or 4) has been getting a lot of notice the last couple of years.

Rubios and Wahoos are okay for fast food outlets.

Pacific Beach Fish Shop, Oscar's Mexican Seafood, The Fishery, Los Arcos and Casanova Fish Tacos all deserve mention.