We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching?

I will be in San Diego in two weeks for a conference. I know that it is past usual time for seeing whales, but also have heard that the whales are hanging around longer than usual. Would it be worth while to try to go on a whale watching cruise? I live on the coast of Florida and we have a boat, so I don't want to spend money on a boat ride if the chances of seeing whales are slim.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,093 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching?

I think the Whale Watch companies are pretty honest. So once you are here in two weeks you can talk with them and they will tell you what they have been seeing in recent days. Then decide if you want to go or not.

I dont know much about Whales and their migration habits, but Id think even if they are here now hanging around longer than normal in two weeks time that may have changed?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching?

This place is not in San Diego, but just up the coast in Dana Point, and is a great tour, with underwater viewing pods.

www.dolphinsafari.com

On the website, they give a running total of all creatures seen in the past few days,as well as historical totals from past years.Different whales appear at different times of year.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching?

Last year around this time I could spot (the spouts of) blue whales from the La Jolla bluffs. As the PPs said, once you are here, contact the whale watching companies. They will be able to tell you whether the whales are around or not. Usually dolphinsafari will be able to tell you exactly how many whales they saw on their last excursion.

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will call a few days before I get there.

5. Re: Whale watching?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 03:17