We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling for the first time to San Diego - Business trip

Bronx, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Traveling for the first time to San Diego - Business trip

Hi,

I am going to San Diego on a conference in November. I'm staying at Hilton Gaslamp Quarter during the conference. I decided to arrive 3 days prior to the conference to spend some time seeing San Diego. However, since I'm staying in downtown San Diego during the conference I figure I should stay somewhere else during my 3 days.

I read somewhere about the 59 mile scenic drive, which I would love to do. I love beaches but do not know if it will be warm enough in November I'm arriving second week in November. I will be traveling by myself. I would love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Hilton San Diego Gaslamp...
2,057 Reviews
San Diego, CA
So.Cal
Level Contributor
364 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling for the first time to San Diego - Business trip

Never knew a "59 mile drive" existed, though we've been to almost all the places on the itinerary. They say allow 3 hours with no stops, but what's the point if you don't make any stops? You could easily take a full 3 days to cover all the stops on the drive. Here's the link for all the info:

sandiego.org/articles/tours-sightseeing/san-…

As far as the weather in November, you never know too much in advance what you'll get (could be in the 50's and raining or 70's and sun), but one of the most spectacular beach walks we ever had was on Thanksgiving Day a couple of years ago. Needed a sweater, but it was just beautiful and the most spectacular sunset we've ever seen. Take your pick of any of the beaches on the 59 mile drive, or go to Coronado Beach, or even walk along Mission Bay. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Coronado Beach Resort
Coronado Beach Resort
559 Reviews
Coronado, CA
Mission Bay Park
Mission Bay Park
495 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling for the first time to San Diego - Business trip

Oh dear - doing all of what is on that itinerary in one day? I don't agree with the San Diego Visitor Centers recommendation for that drive in 3 hrs.

I agree with So. Cal, what's the point if you don't stop along the way. Their suggested itin should be done over a few days.

I suggest taking a portion of that itin and going there. Or just look to see what appeals to you on their list and go to those places.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling for the first time to San Diego - Business trip

wise to stay somewhere else for the 3 days. really depends what you like. if you want to stay in san diego area and like high end, you could consider

la jolla or del mar. if you want a younger more laid back, you could consider pacific beach. nice boardwalk you can walk between pacific and mission beach. there is mission bay close by is is a nice quiet area to walk around and it is central for getting to la jolla, balboa park, sea world. a nice day drive is taking the coastal route from san diego, through del mar, carlsbad to oceanside. then you have to jump on freeway 5 for a short stretch then cut back over to the coast at dana point/laguna beach. have lunch at laguna beach and enjoy the very beautiful "town" and beach.

Mentioned in this post
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
Bronx, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling for the first time to San Diego - Business trip

Thank you so much for your comments. I will definitely look into Coronado or la jolla they sound amazing!

Mentioned in this post
Coronado
Coronado
California
5. Re: Traveling for the first time to San Diego - Business trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2013, 10:16