We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Star Hotel in SeaWorld - Mission Bay - Shelter Island

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 Star Hotel in SeaWorld - Mission Bay - Shelter Island

Which hotels would be in this category?

I am going to book a hotel without knowing the name. I will have a car and have other nights booked without choice to attend a function, but I need to book 3 more nights of11/2-11/5 for pleasure. I do not want to make a choice to regret later.

Thank you.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Star Hotel in SeaWorld - Mission Bay - Shelter Island

I presume you are using either Hotwire or Priceline. Check out betterbidding.com, as they specialize in keep track of those two websites, and which Hotels are offered.

Hotwire is easier to figure out, as they list the amenities of the Hotel, and you can match it up at betterbidding.com, or allow folks at the website to help you figure it out.

new york
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Star Hotel in SeaWorld - Mission Bay - Shelter Island

Thank you Darkbeer for your help.

I am trying to use air miles from United, and they offer a night for 18200 miles. If I get a 4 star hotel room with the price without being stung by exorbitant resort fees and parking fees it will be a really pleasant surprise. Does anyone have an advice to help me out?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,555 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Star Hotel in SeaWorld - Mission Bay - Shelter Island

I am confused? Are you saying that when you use airmiles from United they don't tell you the name of the hotel?? I also thought you were using Hotwire or Priceline.

The possible 4 ****s you'd get there would be the Hilton Mission Bay Resort, The Hyatt or Paradise Point. All charge extra for parking and there is no free parking nearby. Paradise Point also has a resort fee I don't think the others do.

One other hotel in that area is the Catamaran and IF you were to get it there IS free parking on the residential streets next to the hotel.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Star Hotel in SeaWorld - Mission Bay - Shelter Island

They way I read the info the OP posted, I believe they are using Air Miles to get the flight to San Diego, and then using Hotwire or Priceline to get the Hotel as a seperate booking.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Star Hotel in SeaWorld - Mission Bay - Shelter Island

Using BetterBidding.com is the best way to figure it out. Their ideas of four stars and mine are pretty different sometimes.

If the three hotels are the Hilton Mission Bay Resort, The Hyatt Regency Mission Bay or Paradise Point, all are nice. Not necessarily where I would stay to explore San Diego, but with a car they are all fine.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Star Hotel in SeaWorld - Mission Bay - Shelter Island

Just know that at those Mission Bay resorts there is nothing in walking distance. But, if you don't mind that and will eat at the hotel and / or don't mind driving to eat elsewhere they are fine.

The Hilton charges $32 for parking. But I was there a few weekends ago and there is free parking on the street which is where we parked.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,555 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Star Hotel in SeaWorld - Mission Bay - Shelter Island

You CAN park at the Hilton during the day but since it is INside Mission Bay Park you canNOT park there over night.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 Star Hotel in SeaWorld - Mission Bay - Shelter Island

If you are using Priceline, you need to look at their maps. Then look at their regular bookings and see which hotels within the map area they define as 4 star. You can also look at tripadvisor & see which 4 star hotels are in that area, but definition of 4 star can vary. Not greatly, but a hotel that is 3.5 star on one site might be rated 4 on another.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 Star Hotel in SeaWorld - Mission Bay - Shelter Island

So you're saying that parking on the Street (not a parking lot) in front of the Hilton is not allowed overnight? That may be true.

new york
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 Star Hotel in SeaWorld - Mission Bay - Shelter Island

Thanks everyone, but I booked a hotel using my good ole dollars.

They do post hotel names and miles, such as 26284 miles for Hilton, and 26434 miles for Hyatt, then there are ones like I posted; 4 star hotels for fewer miles. I was trying to get most out of miles but I figure they are smarter than I am. Their miles will be best used to fly, I think.

All of you who responded, thank you from bottom of my heart.

Please keep doing it.