We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego 1st time visit for 50th birthday - Where to Stay

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego 1st time visit for 50th birthday - Where to Stay

My family & i will be visiting san diego for 3 days / 2 nights from december 27 to 29th. we will be celebrating a 50th birthday whilst here and want to stay somewhere special. We are looking for a modern either new eg opened within the last 5 years or recently refurbished hotel that is preferably non smoking, no pets permitted and whilst noise is ok no where with raging parties and people passed out in hallways etc. Not knowing the area there is no preference to the region just want somehwere that is safe. Whilst in San Diego we will have a car and will be visiting Sea World for 1 day and possibly either the Zoo or Safari Park on another day and then 1 day to look around / relax. Family consists of 2 adults & 2 children lookng for at least 4 star property and budget not a real issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,196 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego 1st time visit for 50th birthday - Where to Stay

NO worries here in California about NO smoking hotels!! That would be the norm rather than something difficult to find!!

The "new or recently refurbished" makes the list smaller.

The Grande Del Mar is a fairly new resort that is certainly special! It is quite expensive and luxurious with beautiful grounds! It is located north of the city of San Diego so will be about a 20-30min. drive to some activities.

The La Costa Resort has also recently remodeled everything including its golf course. It has pools with slides and is also outside the city limits so near Legoland and closer to the Safari Park but about 30-40 min. to the zoo and downtown San Diego.

In the city of San Diego you might look at the Hilton Bayfront( in a bay/city view room) . It faces the harbor and will be convenient to many activities even without your car. It has a nice pool(no slides) and 2 restaurants and is walking distance to many other places to eat. We have enjoyed staying their ourselves and both the low key sports bar and the more upscale restaurant have good food and service.

I am sure other will come along with some other ideas but you might take a look at these to see if any of them meet your needs.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego 1st time visit for 50th birthday - Where to Stay

Of those great hotels Riff mentioned, only La Costa is non-pets.

If the issues are allergies, I know the Hilton Bayfront has their very special "PURE" rooms.

www.hiltonsandiegobayfront.com/index.php…

The Marriott Marquis at the Marina was remodeled within the past year. It also has a no-pet policy.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,662 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego 1st time visit for 50th birthday - Where to Stay

I would look at the Marriott Coronado, Marriott Marquis, Hilton Bayfront and Grand Hyatt Manchester.

My #1 recommendation for a special hotel would have been the Hotel del Coronado, but it was built in 1888.

http://www.hoteldel.com/

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,196 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego 1st time visit for 50th birthday - Where to Stay

The Del does have its newer villas that were built more recently but they are upwards of $500 per night!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego 1st time visit for 50th birthday - Where to Stay

i wouldn't choose the del around christmas...too many tourists going to have a look at the christmas decorations.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego 1st time visit for 50th birthday - Where to Stay

Thank you to everyone for there comments, most helpful.

I have had a look and Hilton Bayfront and the Marriot Marquis seem to be good. Someone also mentioned to me about Tower 23. I know that it doesnt have a pool but i would think that in December it probably wouldnt be warm enough to swim.

Does anyone have any feedback on this hotel

California
Level Contributor
6,540 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego 1st time visit for 50th birthday - Where to Stay

Another vote for the Hyatt Manchester, rooms (at least most) have just been remodeled and the location for everything at the Seaport is perfect.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,196 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego 1st time visit for 50th birthday - Where to Stay

I usually think of the Pacific Terrace before I think of Tower 23.

I have not stayed at either one but my impression of Tower 23 is that it is more for younger couples rather than for families.

I may be way off base with that impression? They are both in the same beachfront area.

9. Re: San Diego 1st time visit for 50th birthday - Where to Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 16:18