We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best food with a view at sunset?

New Haven...
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best food with a view at sunset?

Looking for a seafood restaurant with great food with an awesome view at sunset. Reading the reviews seems like you can only have one or the other. Nothing romantic or stuffy, 2 friends traveling and its one of their birthdays.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,168 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best food with a view at sunset?

Will you have a car? Where are you staying?

There are lots of choices .

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best food with a view at sunset?

Per Riff M - recommendations will depend on what part of San Diego you are staying in or what part of San Diego you want to have your meal.

La Jolla has the most with views of the ocean but you may not want to eat in LJ.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best food with a view at sunset?

Eddie V's in La Jolla has a great view of ocean, although I am not sure whether you can see the sunset. The new restaurant Cusp on the top floor of Hotel La Jolla also has amazing views and although not a seafood restaurant, they do have fish on the menu. The Shores Restaurant in La Jolla Shores has seafood and a fabulous view. The first two restaurants are definitely not stuffy and not necessarily romantic.

In the Marina district you will find The Fish Market, but it is not one of my favorites.

So.Cal
Level Contributor
349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best food with a view at sunset?

Since there is a bay and a peninsula with low hills between the city of San Diego and the ocean, it's not easy to find a sunset view restaurant in most parts of the city. You can head north towards La Jolla as already mentioned by others or you can try one of the bayfront restaurants on Coronado at the Ferry Landing (Il Fornaio or Peohe). These face east rather than west, but the sun hitting all the buildings in San Diego is late afternoon/sunset can be spectacular. Also check the Del Coronado Hotel - I believe one of their restaurants has an ocean view - though it will be very espensive and possibly more formal than you want..

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best food with a view at sunset?

Yes, that's the hard part, to actually see the sunset from restaurants.

I'm not a big fan of The Fish Market but I do like Top of the Market upstairs with a window view.

If you go even further North of La Jolla you can see it at Jakes' Del Mar & the Poseidon. I don't know the restaurants in Solana Beach or Encinitas that you might be able to see the sunset from.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best food with a view at sunset?

We're staying downtown at the Westin and we do have a car. Thank you for all of the great suggestions. This website is really a great help in researching a destination you've never been to, and when you don't know anyone that lives where you're going. Thank you again.

Level Contributor
36,329 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best food with a view at sunset?

The Sheerwater @ The Del has beautiful views. The more formal venue, 1500 Ocean does not. This is a beautiufl spot to watch a sunset. :)

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best food with a view at sunset?

Staying downtown at the Westin you can walk to Top of the Market

www.thefishmarket.com/topofthemarket.aspx

You can also walk to the Ferry and take it to the Ferry Landing. Peohe's doesn't have the best food but it does have a great view and is a seafood restaurant. Candela's has good food but isn't a seafood restaurant

coronadoferrylandingshops.com/san-diego-rest…

http://www.sdhe.com/san-diego-bay-ferry.html

Another place where you can have a drink and get a great view (and see a sunset) during your stay is Top of the Hyatt. You can also walk to it and they open at 3:00. Another option to see the sunset there and walk 5 minutes (if that) to Roy's Hawaiian Fusion (seafood) in the next door Marriott or walk a little further (in the other direction) to Top of the Market.

…hyatt.com/hyatt/…

The Hyatt also has a seafood restaurant, Sally's. I just haven't eaten there in a long time and don't know much about it. It wouldn't be the place to watch a sunset but if you do Top of the Hyatt for sunset it could be an option for after as well.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,659 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best food with a view at sunset?

The best seafood restaurant with a view in Downtown is Roy's at the Marriott Marquis, right on the bay. I like Top of the Market too.

Short drive to C Level would be good too.

Longer drive to La Jolla gives you George's Modern, The Crab Catcher and the Marine Room.

I love Jake's Del Mar, but I would never call it "great" food. It is good, it is yummy, but not in the same class as some of the others, but the setting is so great. It is part of the family of Duke's and Hula Grill from Hawaii.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best food with a view at sunset?

We've always enjoyed our meals at Anthony' s Fish Grotto on the harbor. It's our "go-to" place the night before embarking on a cruise from San Diego.

Edited: 12 October 2012, 23:33