We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

old town inn

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
old town inn

Hi all. This is my first post on SD forum and probably lots more to come over the next few weeks. We r thinking of staying at the old town inn for a few nights. I have read up the reviews but can't quite work out how far it is from gaslamp area. I know u can get a trolley but how far is it. Also r there plenty of restaurants in walking distance from the hotel. Many thanks in advance.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: old town inn

Hi June

It approx 4 miles to the top end of the Gaslamp. I used the Palomar Hotel at the top end and the Hard Rock Hotel at the bottom end at 4.3 miles

http://goo.gl/maps/Qf829

The Trolley is the best mode of transportation if you don't want to drive

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,184 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: old town inn

The Old Town Inn is across the street from the trolley station.

The ride to downtown(where the gaslamp is located) is about 4 stops and will take about 15min. or so.

BTW the gaslamp is not the only place in town where you can find restaurants/pub etc. It is only one area with lots of hotels and nightclubs.

You can see the location on a map if you put:

Old Town Inn, San Diego,Ca. into Google.

A map will appear. You can use the search nearby function to see all the restaurants in the neighborhood.

There are many from which to choose! The only thing missing in the area is music and nightclubs. You can also get off the trolley at Little Italy(before downtown) and find MORE restaurants/pub/wine bar and some music at Anthology. As I said "the gaslamp" is not the only place to go out at night!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: old town inn

There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance but Old Town is known for having some pretty sub-par eating places. The reason is that so many toursits visit and many of the restaurants don't expect repeat business. But there are certainly places to eat and have drinks at night close by. It's not known for it's nightlife.

Little Italy is also an area along the trolley that has a lot of very good restaurants. While it's not known for it's nightlife there are certainly places to go for it there as well.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,348 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: old town inn

If you plan on spending your evenings downtown I'd stay downtown.

I know if I were a tourist and came to visit San Diego, I wouldn't be real happy staying in Old Town.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,184 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: old town inn

My sister and her husband really enjoyed staying in Old Town!

There may not be foodie upscale restaurants but that's not what they prefer anyway. There were enough choices of food including Mexican,Italian,sushi, deli/sandwiches with beer, etc.

Edited: 24 October 2012, 02:07
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,839 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: old town inn

Old Town itself isn't a bad location to stay and the Old Town Inn isn't a bad hotel, BUT I wouldn't say it is really in Old Town. It might fit some technical definition, but it is across a very busy street from the main section of Old Town. The Fairfield Inn, Best Western Hacienda and Marriott Courtyard are all in better locations for walking around Old Town. The Old Town Inn might seem like the right price, but there is a reason it is cheaper than the others.

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: old town inn

Thanks all for replies. We r still not sure where to stay. How far is old town from a beach and can u get a trolley or need a car. Basically we r coming from Vegas via palm springs then la finishing in san Diego.

We will be thee three nights and want to visit a beach and gaslamp area and anywhere else of interest.

Any help would be appreciated. Maybe I should start a new thread for replies to this. Many thanks.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: old town inn

No, there is no trolley to the beach. You'd have to take the #8, #9 or #30 bus the beach. You can take the trolley to downtown. The Gaslamp is mainly restaurants, bars, and nightlife.

Staying in Old Town isn't a bad idea for using public transportation since it's a major hub for it. However, since parking is free at the Old Town Inn you might consider renting a car and using it to get to the beach and other sites. At night it's easy to hop on the trolley and get to the nightlife in the Gaslamp. That way you can enjoy your night out without having to worry about driving.

http://www.sdmts.com/mtscr/BusRoutes.aspx

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: old town inn

I just re-read your last post. So, it sounds like you're arriving in San Diego by car so you'll already have one. So if you just keep it you will be able to get to the beach and anyplace else you want and then be able to use the trolley at night to the Gaslamp.

The drive to a beach is approx 10 - 15 min. Mission Beach & Pacific Beach.

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: old town inn

Thanks elizzie. Yes we will have a car. Just need a base. We will prob drive to beach then and use the trolley at night time as we do like a drink or two. Sound like old town inn would be a good base then especially with free parking. We r not looking for luxury cos apart from shower and sleep we never spend any time in a hotel. Too much to see and do in such a short space of time.

Can I also add that this forum is very friendly and helpful compared to some of the other forums I go on. Thanks again all.