We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check my itinerary Mar30-Apr2, please

Williamston...
Level Contributor
859 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Check my itinerary Mar30-Apr2, please

I'd appreciate any input into my trip to San Diego next year. We will be a group of 5 (Dad and mom, 14 yr boy and 6 yr girl, plus aunt) coming in from Detroit for a first ever visit. My current planning is:

Mar 30, Sat

1055- land at SAN, collect luggage, rent vehicle

1200-drive towards Point Loma, have quick lunch somewhere along the way

1300-visit the Cabrillo National Monument and visitor center, lighthouse

1400-hike Bayside Trail

1500-check tide pools (low tide at 1634)

1700-drive towards Balboa Park

1730-Balboa Park (address is 1549 El Prado, is there a parking lot here?) Take pictures of some of the architecture and gardens. Still debating on going to the Reuben H Fleet Science Center (only thing that appears to be open late in the park)

1900-drive

1915-check into hotel (deciding between Homewood Suites Liberty Station or Courtyard by Marriott Airport/Liberty Station)

2000-dinner (suggestions?)

Mar 31, Sun

0930-drive to Sea World, get tix (any discount coupons at hotels?)

1000-Sea World, see everything, eat in park

1800-drive back to hotel, clean up

1900-dinner

Apr 1, Mon

0830-drive to San Diego Zoo, get tix (find discount coupon at hotel)

0900-San Diego Zoo, take bus tour first, take cableway back up to pandas, walk back down, have lunch with food previously purchased outside the park

1700-drive to Coronado (if the zoo doesn't take all day, we might hit Old Town first before they close up)

1715-visit Hotel Coronado, Coronado Beach

1900-dinner (suggestions for Coronado?)

Apr 2, Tue

0830-check out

0845-drive to cruise boarding

0915-board cruise

0945-whale watching cruise

1315-unboard

1330-drive towards La Jolla

1400-La Jolla Cove (address is 1100 Coast Blvd., is there a parking lot here?), view wildlife

1500-drive to Torrey Pines State Reserve

1530-Torrey Pines State Reserve (address is 12600 N Torrey Pines Rd., is there parking lot here?), hike trails, visit beach

1900-drive to Anaheim to begin Disney leg

2030-check into hotel

Any suggestions on saving money, doing things better, helpful tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited: 01 December 2012, 18:39
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,045 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Check my itinerary Mar30-Apr2, please

I think it would be much better to go straight from the airport(SAN) to your hotel and check in!! I know hotels all say you cannot check in before late afternoon BUT IF your room is ready they will always let you check in early and IF your room is not ready then you can at least drop off your luggage!

Tell the hotel you'll be coming in early and would like early check in . They will accommodate you if they have the room ready. We have checked in as early as 11 AM on slow days!!

You have an awful lot planned for your first day! You may not have the energy to do it all?

There is FREE parking in various lots throughout Balboa Park and on the city streets surrounding the park.

You also have a lot planned for your last day when you check out!

Perhaps consider leaving your luggage at the hotel until after the cruise.

Again explain to the hotel that you may need late check out.

Unless you can fit ALL the luggage into the trunk so nothing is showing I would not leave it in a parked car.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Check my itinerary Mar30-Apr2, please

I haven't gotten through your whole itinerary yet but I WOULD NOT go to all those places with your luggage in your car!

Go straight to your hotel and drop off your luggage. If your room isn't ready leave it and they will hold it for you. Both Homewood Suites and Courtyard are 5 minutes from the Airport.

I'd take the Homewood Suites for their free breakfast, parking and free dinners during the week.

Williamston...
Level Contributor
859 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Check my itinerary Mar30-Apr2, please

Thanks for the heads up on the luggage, I would not have thought of it.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Check my itinerary Mar30-Apr2, please

Regarding your question

"1730-Balboa Park (address is 1549 El Prado, is there a parking lot here?)" Yes, there is parking.

http://www.balboapark.org/visit/parking

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Check my itinerary Mar30-Apr2, please

Torrey Pines State Reserve and Beach has a paid parking lot. $12 per car during the week.

http://www.torreypine.org/

As for saving money at Theme/Amusement/Animal Parks and Zoos, there are a lot of options, including package deals. The most popular one in Southern California CityPASS, which includes a 3 day Disneyland ParkHopper, a day at SeaWorld and a day at Universal Studios.

Here is a great resource that keeps track of the discounts for the parks in Southern California (and Orlando).

mousesavers.com/southern-california-multi-at…

Edited: 02 December 2012, 00:45
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,045 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Check my itinerary Mar30-Apr2, please

Wow! State Park fees have really gone up!! I didn't realize it cost $12 to enter and park at Torrey Pines!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Check my itinerary Mar30-Apr2, please

Actually it is $12 on weekdays, and $15 on weekends.

8. Re: Check my itinerary Mar30-Apr2, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 13:17