We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any input appreciated

melbourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Any input appreciated

Hi we are travelling to San Diego in September for 4 nights, we will be travelling with our 3 year old, will have a car for the time we are there, and looking to visit Sea Word, Lego, the Zoo and the USS Midway....we looked at the reviews on the Dolphin Inn and although i cannot get prices as yet (they haven't released them) I thought it sounded great for the price, is this in a good location? Can anyone please give me some tips as this is our first time to the USA and on a fairly strict budget? Thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,307 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any input appreciated

The Dolphin Motel is a very low budget motel in a good location if you have a rental car. I am not sure if you can fit 2 adults and 1 child into the rooms unless you are all sleeping together in one bed. I believe they only have rooms with 1 bed but I'd e-mail to ask them about it.

Another good low budget location for a family might be the Old Town Inn.

September is often quite warm here and so having a pool at the motel would be nice at that time of year.

Edited: 20 December 2012, 14:17
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any input appreciated

The Dolphin Motel does have rooms with 2 beds. And as said, the location is good and very easy to get around from there. If a pool is important to you than as said it doesn't have one. A pool is never something I consider when I travel but it is for many people.

The Old Town Inn mentioned is also a good location and has a pool.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any input appreciated

I visit San Diego a couple times every year (I used to live there), and I always stay at the Dolphin Motel.

Yes, they have rooms with two beds. They have a continental breakfast served every morning in the courtyard. The staff is soooooo very friendly, and they have all been there for years and years, which tells you something about the place, also.

It is right across the street from the fishing fleet and yachts, and there are numerous restaurants within walking distance. Point Loma is a great part of S.D.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,307 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any input appreciated

Good to know the Dolphin has rooms with 2 beds.

It is a good low budget choice in a nice scenic and central area if you'll have a car!!

melbourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any input appreciated

thanks so much, was so good to get good feedback! Looks like Dolphin will be a great option for us, thanks again.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any input appreciated

I would request a room facing Scott Street because those rooms have a view looking at the Marina. They have a balcony walkway with chairs on it for guests to sit and look at the view. I think the 2nd floor would be best (no one over you).

Enjoy your visit!

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any input appreciated

Hi There

You will need to rent a car to see San Diego properly IMO

We travel annually and always find the best rates on traveljigsaw, booked in advance from Australia. Its a UK company and for the conversion rates offer the best rates. When we have stopped and hired a car on the spot in various places in the states, without pre booking, we have paid double or even triple what we do with traveljigsaw.

So just letting you know to keep that in mind

BTW San Diego is a great city. We ourselves are returning for 3 nights next April . Its been 4 years since our last visit and we loved it enough to want to return

8. Re: Any input appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2014, 10:15