We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new choice hotel near san diego?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
new choice hotel near san diego?

Does anyone know of a new Choice hotel or one in the process of being built near San Diego - we love those new, clean hotels you know - thank you

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new choice hotel near san diego?

I assume you are talking about the membership program called 'Choice Hotels' that includes different hotels that are a part of that program.

I personally don't know of any 'new, clean hotels' in that program here in San Diego. Maybe someone else will know of a 'new' one here.

http://tinyurl.com/cyka8lr

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new choice hotel near san diego?

Sorry, but I don't know how to find out when these hotels were built so cannot tell which is newest!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new choice hotel near san diego?

It isn't necessarily;y when the hotel was built but when the latest renovation was done. If a hotel was built 5 years ago, it could be looking worn by now where a hotel built 10 years ago has probably had at least one renovation which could make it more updated than the most recently built one. I'd check out the various Choice hotels in SD, narrow it down to a couple that meet your requirements for location, amenities, and price. Read the TA reviews on each and also e-mail or call the hotel to ask when the latest renovation was done. No guarantee that everything will still look new (hotel rooms can take quite a beating) or that it's the cleanest but at least you'll know how old the carpeting and other furnishings might be. I think most hotels that are franchises under a particular chain (such as Choice) hotels are required to do renovations on a certain time schedule or risk losing their franchise. We ran into this last year at a hotel we were staying at. and was being renovated. The front desk clerk told us they had to have all of the renovations done by the end of the year to keep their franchise agreement.

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new choice hotel near san diego?

Thank you - when I call the hotel, the hotel worker usually doesn't have a clue - but if that is the case again, it must mean it can't be too new or too recently renovated - thanks again

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new choice hotel near san diego?

While the front desk staff many not know (taking into consideration the turnover at such positions) , I would think hotel management would at least have a ballpark date as they certainly would have to schedule renovations and certainly pay the bills! Front desk should either be able to connect you to someone who can provide this info or at least give an e-mail address of the owner/manager or other person who you could contact and request they look up the info and send it to you. Probably not a question that any hotel gets often but if other posters who reside in the area do not know of any new hotels, then I guess you'll have make your decision based on current reviews and info on the hotel website.

So.Cal
Level Contributor
305 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new choice hotel near san diego?

Have no idea what a Choice Hotel is, but there is a new (opened late summer) hotel on the coast about 30 miles north of San Diego - the Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Hotel. If 'new' is what you want, this is probably the newest that I've heard of in the area.

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
539 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new choice hotel near san diego?

For information regarding anything new including new hotels/hotel renovations in San Diego, the website for the Convention & Visitors Bureau (which BTW, is soon to be called the San Diego Tourism Authority), with their "What's New in San Diego" section is always a great place to try first:

http://www.sandiego.org/press/whats-new.aspx

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new choice hotel near san diego?

It's probably a hotel changing to the Choice chain.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: new choice hotel near san diego?

Choice Hotels are a chain that includes Quality Inn, Clarion, Comfort, Sleep Inn, Rodeway, EconoLodge and maybe one or two more - but those are the main brands.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: new choice hotel near san diego?

Many hotels/motels are franchises that operate under a specific name such as Quality Inn, Holiday Inn, etc. It's not unusual for properties to switch franchises. One day they're a Quality Inn, the next a Holiday Inn. That can cause confusion when someone goes on-line and sees a "new" Holiday Inn (or any other brand) in a location. Doesn't mean the building is new or that they have even renovated but it might. Since certain hotel chains tend to use certain color schemes, things like carpeting, tables and chairs, etc. might get changed, particularly in the public areas, when a property is "re-branded" but it certainly doesn't mean the rooms all get updated.

Inyogirl, thanks for the heads up on the checking the tourism website.