We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Place to live and work 1 month ”

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Frankfurt, Germany
4 posts
Save Topic
San Diego Place to live and work 1 month ”

Hello,

I am currently researching for our trip to California and have just come to this page. We will fly this year (July and August) to California. 4 weeks we want to spend in San Diego.

We are looking for a cosy and unique place to live (6 person) no luxurys need, but it must be friendly.... Some ideas?

Next question:

Who knows :

- institutions where we can give courses for pupils / students in this time?

My husband and I want do get an idea/picture of san Diego.

I work as an art teacher in a high school and have even a small art school. I would like to do some subjects/projects of art work in San Diego. My husband works as an IT manager and at the University. Our four children want to visit a language school. (10 16 16 18)

It would be very kind if you are able to help us with some addresses or links “in this jungle of information” I know that just in this time there will be holidays .

thanks!!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,610 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Place to live and work 1 month ”

Hi Patricia,

Welcome to the forums.

I am a bit confused ? You show your location as San Diego but then say you are flying to San Diego? I have a feeling you are coming here from another country so it would be helpful if that was shown as your location.

Will you have a car while you are here? What price range would you prefer for your living quarters? I ask because there are many different areas that would be suitable for you and your family. I am not sure exactly what you mean by "unique" ? Can you be more specific?

As for where you could give lessons that is really dependent on the type of visa you will have(assuming you DO come here from another country).

I am not aware of English language schools here for teens and younger children. The ones I know are for university age students.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Place to live and work 1 month ”

Hi Patricia,

A company called "Education First" offers English Language courses with programs ranging from basic to advanced, for people 16 years and older:

ef.com/ils/…

I have not used them, so I cannot speak about the cost, effectiveness, or environment.

As far as teaching art is concerned, you may want to check out possibilities at the Spanish Village Art Center in Balboa Park:

http://www.spanishvillageart.com/

It's a collection of 30+ art studios where artists create their works, but I see on the website that they also offer art classes. Perhaps you could assist with teaching one of those.

Hope that helps.

Frankfurt, Germany
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Place to live and work 1 month ”

Thanks! Actuallly it is the first time that i use this. There are two oportunities for language school for the teens. in La Jolla or in the midle of the city. I guess it will be La Jolla next to the beach. It would be great without a carrenting so we have to know if there is a good busconnection between la jolla and the center.

unique ;-) well it is not easy to discribe. We are used to be a lot outside simple hiking houses, a cozy simple accommodation without much around a bed up a stove, refrigerator friendly but loving rather with a small terraced/balcon in green - an enchanted simple" hut" feel cozy... in German i had some more words for iI ;-) I saw heeps of cottages and houses and was not realy surprised about the prices, but i could not find a good one. some realy nice ones had only place for 3 people. An idea where i should look? Pat

Frankfurt, Germany
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Place to live and work 1 month ”

Good onya, thanks . It is good to have another opportunity with this school. The art center seems to be intressting. :-)

So i will try. Greetings Pat

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego Place to live and work 1 month ”

Hallo Pat,

Sie suchen ein gemütlich Wohnung oder Haus? Oder? :-)

La Jolla is a very nice area of town, but it is also very upscale and expensive and about an hour bus ride to downtown San Diego. Unfortunately, our city's light rail system (Straßenbahn) called the San Diego Trolley does not serve La Jolla.

Here is a link to the Metropolitan Transit System website where you can check bus and trolley routes, and it has an online route planner where you can enter the origin of a trip and the destination and it will show you several alternatives for getting between the two, as well as the duration of the triip.

http://www.sdmts.com/home1.asp

You may want to use that to help determine to look for an apartment / house that's close to bus lines or trolley lines. (Bus #30 will take you from La Jolla to downtown)

www.sdmts.com/RouteFiles/routes/pdf/30.pdf

As far as lodging is concerned, have you looked at the "Vacation Rentals" link at the top of the page for ideas and recommendations from other travelers? Also on the official San Diego Visitors website, there's a link to vacation rentals there:

sandiego.org/where-to-stay/vacation-rentals.…

I hope that helps.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego Place to live and work 1 month ”

I hope you have researched the VISA situation.

It is prohibited to work in the US while admitted as a tourist, under the Visa Waiver Program or the B-2 tourism visa.

No company will employ you or your husband without the proper work visa and it is highly unlikely either of you can get sponsored for an H1-b visa.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego Place to live and work 1 month ”

Patricia, I don't think we have the type of simple "hut"-like accommodations you describe. I understand more or less what you are looking for--I have stayed in simple cottages like that in Europe--but you would mostly find those here in the mountain areas like Julian or the Laguna Mountain. I have seen some cottages in Ocean Beach, but they are not vacation rentals. Btw, what German words would you use to describe what you are looking for? Just curious.

To answer your question about La Jolla and transportation, there is one bus (#30) that goes from La Jolla to Downtown San Diego. It is not the most convenient, but it will get you there.

You can rent an vrbo (Vacation Rental By Owner) in the La Jolla Shores area. Some of the houses are for 6 people. They are within a few blocks of the beach where you can kayak, snorkel with the (harmless) sharks, (learn to) surf, boogieboard or paddleboard. Most tourists prefer houses that are fully equiped, so the houses will most likely have full kitchens, well-appointed bedrooms, entertainment center (TV, etc.).

Come to think of it, last year I checked out a vrbo in the "village" area (downtown) of La Jolla. It was a very cute and quaint house, and might qualify as a cottage. I'll look and see if I can find it again.

About English language schools: There used to be quite a number of them in La Jolla that catered to teens (one of my daughters taught there), but now I believe there are only two left: EC and IEA. I don't know much about them, and don't know if they are only for college-age students.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego Place to live and work 1 month ”

The PPs are correct about the visa situation. Unless you have some sort of an exchange agreement with a school district here, you will not be able to teach, nor will you be able to work in the private sector without a work permit. Perhaps you could do some volunteer work in the art scene?

My impression is that you are coming to San Diego to see if it is a good place to work and live at some point in the future. Perhaps your husband is looking at options in the San Diego IT industry.

The Trip Advisor website is geared toward tourism. You may be better off to contact the German Consulate for your work-related questions. I will say, though, that if you are looking for a job in teaching--even art--it will be nearly impossible to find one in the public school system in the San Diego area. There are, however, a lot more opportunities for work in the IT sector.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Diego Place to live and work 1 month ”

guten Morgen, Patricia!

I lived in Germany as a teenager and love your country!

I understand what type of accommodation you are looking for but, unfortunately, I don't think you'll find that type of 'hut' style accommodation as you describe "outside simple hiking houses, a cozy simple accommodation without much around a bed up a stove, refrigerator friendly but loving rather with a small terraced/balcon in green - an enchanted simple" hut" feel cozy...

You might be able to find a beach cottage that is simple but you must be sure it is near a bus line. You could probably find what you describe further away if you will have a car. Something that would even resemble what you are looking for would be away from places with good public transportation to get you easily around.

I agree that in order to work here you would need proper visas and paperwork or no one will hire you. If you won't have that then you 'might' be able to volunteer at an art school. But, you would still need to show your work, creditials as an art teacher, etc. Perhaps your husband can find something through the University in a reciprocal teaching program?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Diego Place to live and work 1 month ”

You might have a look at this program. I don't know if it would be helpful to you or not. And/or you may already be aware of this program.

connectenglishsandiego.com/index.php/…