We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - January 2013

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
112 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - January 2013

Thanks to all who gave suggestions on this board. Hopefully this report will help other with their plans. Enjoy San Diego:

Traveled to San Diego to accompany my daughter Sara who was attending a math conference. Arrived at San Diego airport ~noon on Tuesday, January 8th. Decided to rent a car from ACE Car Rental since their drop off location was only a block from the hostel in which we stayed and we only wanted a car for one day. After checking into R. K. Hostel that is in the north end of Little Italy on Hawthorn Street, we drove car up to La Jolla. Had lunch at Jose's Courtroom and it was excellent. I will post reviews for the restaurants we went to during the trip under that section of the Trip Advisor website. We just hung out in La Jolla, looked at some shops and had a nice walk along the beach, checking out the surfers, big waves and a perfect sunset. So beautiful! After dropping off the car, Sara prepared for her conference and I went to Princess Pub and Grill to watch some college hoops. Great spot with an excellent selection of draft beer. May I suggest the Ballast Point Sculpin IPA! Wednesday morning we grabbed some breakfast burritos from Mexican Fiesta that is a hole in the wall place on India Street with no seating, although there is a little park across the street that has tables. We then walked down to the trolley station and each got a four day card for the trolley and busses that gives unlimited rides and cost ~$18 each. We took the trolley to the convention center where Sara went to do her math thing and I rented a sweet brand spanking new Bianchi road bike from The Bike Revolution. I rode up to La Jolla Cove area and Scripps Institute via Mission Beach. Had lunch at Cheese Shop. This is really a small deli that has a couple tables outside, but is very close to the beach where you can take your food and have the great views of La Jolla Cove. Stopped by Ocean Beach area on my way back and went to the dog park at end of Ocean Beach Bike Path, then to Sunset Cliffs. San Diego does a wonderful job of providing open space and beach access. We had dinner that night at Isola Pizza Bar. Thursday Sara attended the conference while I took bike to Cabrillo National Park. Great views from the park and if you go there it is worth a visit to the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery that pays homage to the brave soldiers and sailors who died in service to their country. It is very somber experience. This was a brutal ride with some good climbs and wind out of the west at 30 mph and temperature ~50F. On return trip, after riding around Shelter Island, I stopped for late lunch at Point Loma Seafoods that was excellent. It is a seafood shop that has a great selection of fresh and smoked fish and also a restaurant with a sushi chef. Place was packed. I couldn’t decide between the Hamachi sashimi or the fish tacos, so ordered both. Stopped by the Waterfront Bar on way back to hostel. This was a very cool place that is a very casual, classic type of bar with hundreds of very cool pictures of old time fishermen. We had dinner that night with a group of math students at La Fiesta in the Gaslamp district. The food was pretty good but I wouldn’t return. On Friday, Sara again attended the math conference and I rode the bike around Balboa Park. It has wonderful architecture and grounds. You could spend a few days there but it is worth a visit even to just look around. Returned bike and spent afternoon site seeing around Gaslamp District and the waterfront area, then spent a couple hours touring the Midway Museum. It was cool to be on the deck of the aircraft carrier while watching jets and helicopters taking off from the base on Coronado Island across the harbor. We had dinner that night at Gaijin Noodle. It specializes in noodles and some hot ramen was very welcome after being out on a cold day in San Diego. Finished off the evening listening to some live Irish music at Dublin Square Irish Pub and Grill. On Saturday, we rented a Mustang convertible and drove up through Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, and several others up to Carlsbad. This was our warmest day with a high temperature of almost 60F. Lunched at Cody's in La Jolla. This is a great little restaurant. We just had burgers but they were excellent. Had dinner that night at The Green Flash in Pacific Beach. We had a great sunset view and this was a nice way to end our trip.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback through your detailed trip report. Sounds like you had a great visit.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,461 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

Enjoyed your TR San Diego is a beautiful city indeed.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

Thanks! Sounds like you really made the most of your short trip!

Question? What route did you take to get to La Jolla Cove from Downtown. Curious minds ...

I have driven past that hole in the wall Mexican Fiesta a thousand times and have never eaten there. Must do some day (it's really the parking issue and time of day). I haven't tried La Fiesta either yet. Thanks for the details on where you ate. Princess Pub has pretty good food. What did you think of Isola. I've only been for HH. $5 wine $5 pizza and liked it.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

Oh did you see the 'Mercado' (Farmers Market) on Saturday?

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
112 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

To get from downtown to La Jolla, I went across N. Harbor Drive along the bike path on the south side that goes along Spanish Landing Park. To Nimitz Blvd. to sunset Cliffs to W. Mission Bay Drive. Actually that part kind of sucked with traffic and bumpy roads. The just slowly went up Mission Blvd. and La Jolla Blvd. I went through a lot of residential streets and hugged the shore when possible. Lots of women in yoga clothes walking dogs in sweaters .. weird.

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
112 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

We loved Isola. I went there on first night to just have a glass of wine. The bartender was so good, explaining the wines and it was really good, so we went back a following night to have pizza. Everything just very well done, starting with the waitress, to the high quality ingredients. Very Well done I thought.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

Ah, OK. Thanks for the route info. I was just curious. Nimitz is a very busy street for sure. I wonder if you saw my sister walking her dogs over that way :)

I thought the pizza at Isola was good too. It's the only thing i've had there though.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

Great trip report. You hit all my favorite spots!

I have done the bike ride from la Jolla to the Barrio Logan farmer's market, and usually ride on the side walks when I can. Nimitz has bike lanes, but even then it is still a little scary.

Love Isola pizza, and YES, Ballast Point Sculpin IPA is my favorite too!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

Great trip report!

Remember, paragraphs can be your best friend!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,689 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

Thanks for writing! I did not know about that hostel in Little Italy!

I agree with pbhomey that next time it would make for easier reading if you separated the report into paragraphs. My old eyes had trouble but I am glad I got through it because you wrote about some interesting fun activities!!

Thanks again!