We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold prospecting

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gold prospecting

We will be in San Diego area in July staying in Ramona. My 6 and 9 year old boys desperately want to pan for gold. I have found a couple of places in Julian area, but it looks like you buy a bag of "stuff" and pan it. We want to really pan in a creek or something more authentic feeling. We do not mind driving a couple hours if worth it. Any public gold mining areas or somewhere to pay admission for a day? Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,027 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold prospecting

Hi,

This is not really "gold" country!

We have done real panning for gold farther north in California.

This is the California gold area:

http://www.calgold.org/

THIS web site may help to find places in southern Cal.

I do not have any personal knowledge of them:

http://www.aptsgold.com/Outings.html

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold prospecting

I haven't done this in sooooo long I don't remember quite what its like, though it is a theme park so it might not be as authentic as what you want, but Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park has a gold mining attraction where you can pan for gold.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gold prospecting

A friend of mine belongs to a prospecting club. Most of the prospecting in southern California is now in the deserts. To learn about the history of gold mining in San Diego County you can go to Julian and take the tours to old mines, there is a small train ride and panning for "gold" but I believe it's just simulated gold there. That could provide the type of experience you are seeking, just not with real gold. Also the Stonewall Mine in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park was a gold mine, although you can't enter it, there is a cabin and informational signs.

On the Pala Indian Reservation in northern San Diego County there is an attraction called Gems of Pala, where you buy a bucket of ore for $20 and screen it there, and you possibly could find a bit of gold, but you are more likely to find tourmaline and other semi-precious stones.

Knott’s Berry Farm, in Buena Park only 6 miles from Disneyland, has had a Gold Mine attraction for decades. I remember going to it as a kid. Originally it was in a tiny valley in the park and it was really nicely done, you walked through a tunnel with sound effects and mining equpment and then you panned for gold in a sluice. That location is now the entry point for the Ghostrider roller coaster. You can still pan for gold at Knott’s but I believe it is inside one of the shops in the Ghost Town section of the park and I believe there is an extra charge for doing it, but it is real gold there.

I have read that the East Fork of the San Gabriel River is popular for prospecting for gold. That is near Azusa, California, about a 3-hour drive from San Diego. I have also read that it is very popular and crowded there. If you want to pan in a creek for an authentic gold prospecting experience your best bet would be to drive up to the gold country along Highway 49 on the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada range of California, a full day’s drive from San Diego.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gold prospecting

www.julianminingcompany.com

San Diego...
Level Contributor
621 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gold prospecting

You might check out this place. I've been here several time with my kids as part of the YMCA Advenure Guides/Princesses and gold mining was one of the activities. There's a creek and a sluice gate for panning. Creek may not be running in July, best to check. The kids had a great time. My guess is that this place is about an hour drive from Ramona.

indianhillscamp.com/outdoor-education/gold-r…

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gold prospecting

Thanks everybody!

san diego
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gold prospecting

the closest place I can think of is about 2 hours off from san diego its san Gabriel ... that is real panning ... you will see many people panning .. all you need is a parking pass for the day . its a lot of work but also fun .

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gold prospecting

Qui Qui R,

I see this is your first post on Trip Advisor... when posting, you may want to look at the date of the original post. This post is 8 months old, and I'm guessing the original poster (OP) has already come and gone.

Still, it is nice to know what Gabriel has to offer... Thanks.

Zed

Murrieta
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gold prospecting

Gold Bags are important ..The Kids know that there is Gold in the Bag ..If they do it wrong they lose the gold , if they do it right they get it ...and they can practice over and over again at home

John Z P GPAA OC , and Imperial Valley Prospectors

Murrieta
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gold prospecting

Gold Bags are important , no matter if you get them from Julian or Calico..The Kids know that there is Gold in the Bag ..If they do it wrong they lose the gold in the wash-pan, if they do it right they get the gold ...and they can practice over and over again at home on there techniques ......Once these techniques are perfected , then they can mine the streams

John Z P GPAA OC , and Imperial Valley Prospectors - Loacl 398 Plumbers and Pipefitters Union

Work Union , Made in America