We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La jolla, mission beach, somewhere else?

Utrecht, The...
3 posts
Save Topic
La jolla, mission beach, somewhere else?

Hi,

I'm from the Netherlands and have plans to visit California for a month in July/august. I'll be visiting San Diego area for a week in august with my wife and two boys, 9 and 7 years old.

It will be a combination of work and holiday. So I'll be visiting downtown San Diego for my job but ofcourse with the boys we prefer the beaches. What would you recomend? Hire an appartment at La Jolla so my family can walk to the beach while I drive to San Diego for work? Or is Mission beach a better idea? I'll have a car.

We love nature and would love to go snorkeling and maybe do a whale/dolphin tour, things like that.

If would appreciate all recommendations, ideas, whatever.

Thanks

Rutger

Another Side Of San Diego Tours
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Adventures in San Diego
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours
San Diego Bay Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Waterskiing & Jetskiing
Bahia Belle
Sightseeing Tours
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: La jolla, mission beach, somewhere else?

Both are goid choices, I'd look at Coronado too. It's a great beach area and only a 10 minute drive to downtown.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La jolla, mission beach, somewhere else?

What is your budget per night? That will help with recommendations.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La jolla, mission beach, somewhere else?

GoodBeer beat me to it. Consider Coronado as well. As he said it's 10 to downtown if you stay near the Ferry landing and 15 from the Village. OR, if you stay near the Ferry Landing you can take the Ferry to Downtown where there are 2 stops, the Convention Center and Broadway Pier.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La jolla, mission beach, somewhere else?

During the summer, traffic in the mission beach area can be very heavy. This will add a lot to your commute downtown. The most convenient (and beautiful) however pricy would be Coronado. Most all vacation rentals in San Diego require 1 week minimum during the summer.

Utrecht, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: La jolla, mission beach, somewhere else?

Thnx! We'll take a better look at Coronado as well. I under stand mission beach can have heavy traffic. How about la Jolla?

Thank you all for your time and info. It's much appreciated!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: La jolla, mission beach, somewhere else?

it will be easier for you to get to downtown from Mission Beach than La Jolla. Traffic in and out of La Jolla can be an issue. Coronado is the easiest of the 3 to/from downtown. And of course as mentioned above the ferry from Coronado may also be an option for you depending on where you will be working downtown.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La jolla, mission beach, somewhere else?

<<<Traffic in and out of La Jolla can be an issue.>>>

It really depends where in La Jolla you would stay. If it is in La Jolla Shores, it really isn't bad at all. There are vrbo houses right near the beach or within a few blocks. La Jolla Shores has a nice family beach with activities that the boys would enjoy, like learning to surf, sea kayak, paddleboard, snorkel with the sharks (harmless sharks). Nearby is the University of California where the boys could ride their bikes to their heart's content across almost 2000 acres. From LJShores to La Jolla Cove and the "village" of La Jolla is only a mile walk, and they could see the seals and sea lions there, as well as snorkel at the Cove.

La Jolla is also close to Torrey Pines State Reserve where you can do some hiking with spectacular views.

I agree that Coronado would also be a good place for the family. Coronado has a wide beach, and you could rent bikes to ride along the Silver Strand. Coronado has a lovely village atmosphere.

Utrecht, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: La jolla, mission beach, somewhere else?

Ok! Guess we'll have to choose between coronado and la jolla thnx a lot y'all

9. Re: La jolla, mission beach, somewhere else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2014, 06:19