We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking near Coronado or San Diego 2nd Week of February

midwest
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking near Coronado or San Diego 2nd Week of February

I am researching if it is possible to kayak during the 2nd Week of February in Coronado or nearby San Diego area?

Trying to possibly surprise my husband (belated Valentine's) with kayak opportunity at that time. He can kayak very well on lakes but isn't into whitewater and doesn't have big wave experience. Doesn't own a wetsuit. Is it too cold to do that time of year?

We would not be travelling with our kayak and would need to rent one.

Any recommended companies or a state park which would offer it?

Not overnight - just a few hours on the water or near a shoreline/bay area. Maybe a nice place where one could see sealife/wildlife/birds.

Thank you very much.

Mentioned in this post
Coronado
Coronado
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
San Diego Catamarans
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Boat Hire, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing
Mission Bay Sportcenter
Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Water Sports, Boat Hire, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Kayak SD
Kayaking & Canoeing
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking near Coronado or San Diego 2nd Week of February

a-zsandiegobeaches.com/coronadocitybeach.htm

sandiegobikeandkayaktours.com/coronado_kayak…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,761 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking near Coronado or San Diego 2nd Week of February

I would say it is too cold to kayak in the ocean without a wetsuit, but Mission Bay should be fine.

I doubt any of the kayak places rent wetsuits but you can check.

http://www.aqua-adventures.com/

http://www.lajollakayak.com/

If I were kayaking in the summer, it would be in La Jolla, but I might go with a guide the first time who can teach about currents and wave action. The ocean isn't a lake, the water is always moving even if you can't see waves. I've seen the SD lifeguards having to rescue a lot of kayakers in La Jolla.

Mentioned in this post
Mission Bay Park
Mission Bay Park
495 Reviews
San Diego, CA
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
midwest
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking near Coronado or San Diego 2nd Week of February

Thank you so much to all who responded. I will check out your resources and see what might work.

The sea caves seem pretty cool as a tour, but the water may be too cold without a wetsuit.

Thanks again!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28,295 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking near Coronado or San Diego 2nd Week of February

La Jolla Kayak gave me a wet suite both times I have rented Kayaks from them.

Mentioned in this post
La Jolla Kayak
La Jolla Kayak
306 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking near Coronado or San Diego 2nd Week of February

Most kayak places rent wet suits or spring suits. I see many groups of people in La Jolla Shores that go out with the kayak companies all wearing the same wetsuits.

I think the La Jolla Shores kayaking experience will be a lot of fun for your husband. The waves are not too big--they won't go out if it is too rough--and it is scenic.

Edited: 03 February 2013, 18:07
Mentioned in this post
La Jolla Shores Hotel
La Jolla Shores Hotel
1,074 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
6. Re: Kayaking near Coronado or San Diego 2nd Week of February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 05:16