We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy access for 18yo to explore during day?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Easy access for 18yo to explore during day?

Hi, I've read lots of posts and think I'm just getting myself more and more confused, so decided it was time to ask!

My husband is travelling over next week for a brief business trip (from Australia) and is now bringing our 18yo son with him. He will have a car and be working a few hours each day in Encinitas, and visiting friends in Cardiff, and I am trying to find some accommodation that will allow our son to get out and explore a bit during they day.

My original thought was to book accommodation in Del Mar but its looking to me (from google maps) that most places don't have terribly much around them, and I assume limited transportation access from what I'm reading?

He's not a theme park kid, but would enjoy looking around town and maybe the university area, beaches, shopping (especially outlet sales), and is currently deciding which historical areas he'd like to experience, so I'd like to find a suitable area that allows reasonable access to Encinitas and easy access to transport into SD and areas.

Budget is $150-200 - included parking and breakfast would be nice but not deal breakers, and free wifi. Any advice that you can offer would be awesome, thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,194 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy access for 18yo to explore during day?

Encinitas is a suburban beach town in San Diego County.

The only way your 18year old will be able to get around is to be in a town with a train station or to drive a car.

Del Mar doesn't have a train station.

Solana Beach has one and Carlsbad has several of them.

Here is our transit web site:

transit.511sd.com/Services/Default.aspx

Look at the Coaster route and timetable to see which towns have stations. The trains will go north to Oceanside and south to Old Town and downtown San Diego.

These stations will also have service from the California Amtrak trains that go north to LA and Disneyland and south to downtown San Diego.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,194 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy access for 18yo to explore during day?

Another idea would be to have them stay farther south in our Old Town neighborhood. That way your husband would drive 30min or so north to work but your son could walk to little shops/historical area and take our lightrail electric train that we call the trolley to malls to shop , to downtown to the harbor to visit ships or to shop or go to Balboa Park etc.

It would give the 18year old lots of freedom and easy access and Dad would just have to drive to and from his work.

3. Re: Easy access for 18yo to explore during day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 February 2013, 17:14
Edited: 03 February 2013, 17:14
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy access for 18yo to explore during day?

I would look at both Solana Beach and Old Town. As said, Solana Beach has a train station and your son could take the train (Amtrak Pacific Surfliner) to Old Town and.or all the way to Downtown (SAN.) Staying there he can also enjoy the beach. And your husband is very close to Encinitas as it's right next door to Solana Beach.

http://www.amtrak.com/home

Downtown is where the USS Midway is

http://www.midway.org/

There's an Outlet Mall in Carlsbad. He could take the train to Carlsbad and then take a bus or taxi to the mall. Or go with his Dad in the car one day.

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy access for 18yo to explore during day?

The Coaster train is the one that goes from Solana Beach to Carlsbad.

http://www.gonctd.com/coaster

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy access for 18yo to explore during day?

The PPs already mentioned the Coaster.

He can also take the 101 bus all along the coast from Encinitas down to La Jolla and the University of California San Diego. It will drop him right in front of it. From the university he can also hop on bus 30 to go to the Village of La Jolla and to Pacific Beach or all the way to Old Town.

He can take the same bus (101) along the coast to Carlsbad (ask driver to drop him off at Palomar Airport Rd and walk the short distance to the outlet mall, about 0.7 miles.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy access for 18yo to explore during day?

He can also take the Coaster Train to Oceanside, and check out the Oceanside Pier area within walking distance of the station.

www.visitoceanside.org

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy access for 18yo to explore during day?

Thanks all, much appreciated! I'll check the accom options now that I have a clearer idea of location - was just drowning in them before!! Cheers

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,857 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy access for 18yo to explore during day?

Old Town makes the most sense.

He can ride the light rail to San Diego State University, Mission Valley Mall, Fashion Vally Mall, Downtown, Little Italy, Las Americas Outlet Mall, the USS Midway and Coronado Ferry to name a few spots.

10. Re: Easy access for 18yo to explore during day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 06:17